Often ranked as one of the top 10 zoos in the United States, the Oklahoma City Zoo is also the oldest in the Southwest. With over 100 landscaped areas and a number of exotic animals, the OKC Zoo features special exhibits such as the Cat Forest, Great EscAPE, Butterfly Garden, Island Life, Elephant Habitat, and Aquatics.
In addition, there are special shows, concessions, tours, outreach programs, rides, and picnic areas. The Zoo Amphitheater is also a treat, offering outside live music.
Hours of Operation
The Oklahoma City Zoo is open every day of the year except Thanksgiving and Christmas from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Location & Directions
2101 NE 50th Street
Oklahoma City , OK 73111
The OKC Zoo is located just south of Remington Park in the area known as the Adventure District. From I-35, exit westbound at NE 50th. From I-44, exit southbound at Martin Luther King.
- Single strollers
- Double strollers
- Electric convenience vehicles
- Electric convenience vehicles with canopy
- Safari cart (2-hour tour, reservations 72 hours in advance required)
- Pet hotel
Strollers, wheelchairs, and electronic vehicles are rented on a first come-first served basis.
- Wild Encounters (sea lion, bear, elephant shows)
- Feed Lorikeets
- Elephant Express Shuttle
- Centennial Choo Choo
- Giraffe Feeding Platform
- Stingray Bay
Food and More
- Canopy Food Court - A 300 seat indoor restaurant with many food choices such as pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs and Mexican.
- Multiple Cafes - ice cream, nachos, chips, and candy.
- Catering - catering and facility rental is available.
- Extras - ATM, disability access, a first aid station, nursing and diaper changing stations and Lost and Found services available.
- Rules - pets, roller blades, skates, frisbees, glass containers, alcoholic beverages, and straws are not permitted.
Exhibits and Features
- Asian-themed Elephant Habitat: Opened in 2011, the $13 million dollar elephant habitat is the largest exhibit ever built at the zoo, spanning nine and a half acres. The state-of-the-art exhibit features three outdoor yards, pools, a waterfall, a demonstration pavilion and more.
- Children’s Zoo: Opened in 2010, the 2.5-acre Children's Zoo allows kids the opportunity to "explore, touch, and immerse themselves in a natural environment that will stimulate their imagination, encourage exploration and give them a greater appreciation for nature."
- Oklahoma Trails: Opened on March 10, 2007, the Oklahoma Trails feature natural habitats and over 100 Oklahoma native species.
- Cat Forest / Lion Overlook: The 4.2-acre habitat features lions, tigers, snow leopards and a variety of wild cats.
- Great EscAPE: On 6 acres, this exhibit features gorillas, orangutans, and chimpanzees in a tropical forest.
- Aquatics: With marine life from all around the world, the Aquatics exhibit contains over 1500 creatures.
- Butterfly Garden: The 20,000 square foot exhibit contains over 15,000 plants with the aim of attracting butterflies.
- Island Life: From the Caribbean to Madagascar to the Philippines, the Island Life exhibits feature snakes, birds, turtles, frogs, reptiles... the list goes on and on.
- Sea Lion Show: A fantastic experience for the whole family, the show features sea lions and birds in a crowd-pleasing tandem.
- Zoo Amphitheatre: With a number of outside performances, music and much more, the Amphitheater offers a unique entertainment option.
Nearby Hotels and Lodging
- Best Western Plus Broadway
6101 N Santa Fe Avenue
Approximately 2 miles from the Oklahoma City Zoo
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites
6200 N Robinson Ave.
Less than 3 miles from the Oklahoma City Zoo
- Courtyard by Marriott
1515 NW Expressway
Less than 4 miles from the Oklahoma City Zoo