01 of 06
The Langham, Chicago: Luxury Hotel in a Mies van der Rohe Masterpiece
What Makes The Langham, Chicago a Luxury Hotel
The Langham, Chicago is a luxury hotel that opened in 2013. The hotel earned the coveted AAA Five Diamond rating in 2014, 2015, and 2016. The same year, Condé Nast Traveler's Readers' Choice Awards ranked the hotel third in the category of Top 25 Hotels in the United States.
• See the hallmarks of a true luxury hotel like The Langham, Chaicago
Who Is Langham Hotels?
The Langham, Chicago is a proud addition to the Langham Hotels brand, in the forefront of hospitality for 150 years. Its flagship hotel, The Langham, London, opened in 1865 as the world's original grand hotel. Now worldwide, Langham's five North American hotels include The Langham, Boston. The Langham Chicago brings Langham Hotels' trademark British hospitality to the Windy City.
Setting of The Langham, Chicago
The Langham, Chicago is centrally located downtown on the scenic north bank of the Chicago River, within walking distance of Millennium Park and the Magnificent Mile's shopping and dining.
The Langham, Chicago's Landmark Building
The hotel's building is a Chicago icon, and this is America's most architecturally renowned city. It occupies the first 13 floors of an august 52-story skyscraper designed by the legendary 20th century architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.
The black anodized aluminum tower, completed in 1970, was originally designed to house IBM. This "less is more" design, one of several van der Rohe creations in Chicago, is a Windy City landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Is The Langham, Chicago Right for You?
The answer is probably yes if:
• You appreciate personal yet unobtrusive luxury service
• You don’t mind splurging on a spacious luxurious suite
• You want to bask in incredible views of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan
• You’re an architecture buff and will be thrilled to stay in a Mies Van der Rohe masterpiece
• You'd love three-minute walking access to Chicago’s Magnificent Mile
• You'll like being a short walk or taxi ride from world-class Chicago dining and shopping
• You want multiple dining and drinking options right in your hotel
• You crave an indulgent spa right in your hotel
• You're a swimmer who will jump right into the 67-foot pool
• You're traveling with your pets (this pet-friendly policy permits cats and smaller dogs for a $100 housekeeping fee per stay)
The answer is probably no if:
• You'll find it strange to share your hotel with a downtown office building (albeit with separate entrances)
• You prefer dignified, historic, grand hotels to one housed in a modern high-rise
• You require being on (rather than just near) the "Mag Mile"
Marvelous, modern rooms & suites at The Langham, Chicago >>Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Design & Rooms at The Langham, Chicago
The Look of The Langham, Chicago
The Langham, Chicago's striking, ultra-contemporary interiors pay homage to van de Rohe's pioneering modernist vision. The hotel was designed by the renowned Rockwell Group. David Rockwell has also masterminded the look of other new luxury hotels such as:
• The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
• Nobu Hotel Caesars Palace
• Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach.
Big Rooms at The Langham, Chicago
The Langham, Chicago's 316 guest rooms are amongst Chicago's biggest. They begin at a spacious 516 square feet, and suites hover between 960 and 1,230 square feet.
The Langham, Chicago’s peak accommodations are its 2,700-square-foot, two-bedroom Infinity Suite and Regent Suites.
• They offer sweeping corner views of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan
• They feature private butler pantries with fully stocked bars.
Perks in All Rooms at The Langham, Chicago
All guests at The Langham, Chicago can count on:
• 55-inch LCD high-definition TVs
• Nespresso coffeemakers and tea
• Basic but perfectly serviceable (faster connections are billed daily)
• Complimentary bottled water
• Free use of the hotel's fitness center and lap pool
Sybaritic Bathrooms at The Langham, Chicago
Bathrooms here are design expressions that are also guest-friendly and sensible.
• Surfaces are crafted from slabs of Botticino Fiorito marble, Alaskan White granite, and Travertine limestone
• “Reveal” glass doors turns opaque at the touch of a button
• A soaking tub has an adjoining rainshower
• Chuan Spa bath amenities
Chi-town Touches at The Langham, Chicago
Guests of this hotel never forget they’re visiting the Windy City.
• Bed throws feature textured renditions of Chicago’s skyline
• Classic and River View Suites feature chaise lounges created by Mies van der Rohe
• Books about the master builder's Chicago designs stud in-room shelves
Why you want a club-level room at The Langham, Chicago >>Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Club Floor & Club Lounge at The Langham, Chicago Luxury Hotel
The Langham Club Level at The Langham, Chicago
The Langham, Chicago tempts with a panoramic Club Lounge.
• Guests in rooms and suites at the Langham Club category have Club access
• Other hotel guests can upgrade of a fee ($100 per person/day as of 2016)
• Their kids 17 and under have complimentary use
• Sound good? Find out more about club floors and VIP lounges, and decide if a club-floor upgrade is worth it to you
Langham Club Level Service Perks
• Unlimited Club access
• Private, express check-in and checkout
• Butler assistance with unpacking and packing
• Complimentary wifi
• Complimentary in-town car service
• Complimentary pressing of three garments
Langham Club Level Comforts
The Langham Club Lounge is an outstanding example of a relaxing hotel VIP lounge. This haven of service commands open views of the Chicago River, Lake Michigan, and surrounding cityscape.
Open daily from early breakfast until after dinner, the Langham Club Lounge offers guests:
• Nearly all-day food service: : elegant breakfast buffets, light snacks and afternoon tea, elaborate evening canapé spreads and cocktails
• Dedicated concierge service and butlers on call
• Wifi and use of the Lounge’s computers and printers
• DVD and book library, newspapers, magazines
• Cushy seating that includes a Writer’s Corner nook with cozy chair
• Two-hour access to the Club Board Room for business meetings (upon availability)
• Spacious shower facilities for freshening up before a late flight, or before check-in
Diverse and delicious dining at The Langham, Chicago >>Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Restaurants & Bars at The Langham, Chicago
Top Dining at The Langham, Chicago
The hotel offers a variety of dining and lounging.
Travelle Kitchen + Bar
Travelle Kitchen + Bar is the hotel’s full-service restaurant, serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch. It is popular with guests, other city visitors, and well-heeled neighborhood residents.
Its second-floor space offers airy, wood-and-metal-enhanced interiors from David Rockwell that complement Mies van der Rohe’s modern architecture. A glass-enclosed open show kitchen provides a riveting backdrop.
Executive travelers staying at The Langham, Chicago can entertain important clients here. Private events for up to 10 diners are conducted in the distinctive, glass-walled Wine Room.
Chef Tim Graham cooks contemporary, often locally sourced takes on seasonal American cuisine.
The meal starts deliciously with Travelle starters like
• Sea-cuterie: the kitchen's inspired twist on charcuter
• BBQ octopus with pork belly and Sea Island peas
• Endive Salad with walnuts, Comté cheese and thyme vinaigrette
Main courses are full-throttle, with creative flavor combinations:
• Spicy Half Chicken with Brussels sprouts and guanciale pork
• Cider Braised Pork Shank with antebellum grits, citrus and mole
• Sides such as roasted cauliflower with romesco sauce and off-the-cob corn soufflé
The Langham Afternoon Tea with Wedgwood
The Langham, Chicago’s dazzling Pavilion room is home to The Langham Afternoon Tea with Wedgwood, a cornerstone of the Langham legacy. (It is generally accepted that The Langham, London originated afternoon tea as a diversion for a bored duchess and her cronies.)
• Afternoon Tea with Wedgwood includes proprietary Langham teas, and an array of sweet and savory bites
• Live pianists play during Tea service on Friday through Sunday
• Seatings are available from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Lounging at The Langham, Chicago
Travelle Bar is a destination bar sought out by in-the-know locals.
• Travelle's scenic vista takes in the Chicago River and surrounding skyline
• Flattering dusky lighting and low-riding Modernist leather seating sets the stage for after-dinner drinks
Indulge in Chuan Spa at The Langham, Chicago >>Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Spa & Fitness at The Langham, Chicago Luxury Hotel
Indulgent Spa & Wellness Pursuits at The Langham, Chicago
Chuan Spa at The Langham, Chicago comprises 22,000 square feet of first-class relaxation
The word “Chuan” means flowing water in Mandarin, and this spa is all about the liquid force. Once guests pass through Chuan Spa's Moon Gate, the journey of balancing mind, body and soul begins.
Treatments at Chuan Spa
Chuan Spa boasts specialty treatments based on Traditional Chinese Medicine and the five elements of wood, fire, earth, metal and (especially) water. A warm beige and brown palette, accented with wood and Asian motifs, sets the stage.
Spa services are designed to restore harmony to mind and body. They are highly customized to a guest's needs and preferences.
Signature body treatments include Chuan Harmony, Stone Therapy, Healing Hands, and Reflex Remedy.
Facials draw on therapies Eastern and Western, offering something new to spa acolytes.
More Tempting Treatments at Chuan Spa
• Heated Hydro-Vitality Jacuzzi for pure relaxation
• Herbal Sauna soothes muscles; its aromatic herbs open the respiratory system
• Himalayan Salt Stone Sauna calms stress and soothes the skin and sinuses
• Oriental Steam Room aids breathing with healing chamomile essence
• Post-treatment Dream Room has relaxation lighting and ergonomic heated recliners
Fitness at The Langham, Chicago
All hotel guests have access to the hotel's outstanding fitness options:
• A state-of-the-art Health Club with a range of exercise equipment and classes and personal trainers for hire
• The hotel's 67-foot swimming pool is catnip to lap swimmers
Find out more & connect with The Langham, Chicago >>Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Connect with and Follow The Langham, Chicago Luxury Hotel
Connect with The Langham, Chicago
• The Langham, Chicago's website
• The Langham, Chicago on Facebook
• On Twitter (@LanghamChicago)
• On Instagram
• On Pinterest
• Info & reservations by phone: 312.923.9988
• The Langham, Chicago photo tour
• From About's Chicago Travel Expert, more great Chicago views
•The Langham, Chicago
330 North Wabash Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
As is common in the travel industry, the Guest Author was provided with a complimentary visit in order to describe the hotel. For more info, see our site's Ethics Policy.