The Inn of the Five Graces: Santa Fe's Most Unforgettable Upscale Hotel
Not Just the Best Hotel in Santa Fe: One of the Best in the United States
The Inn of the Five Graces is the top hotel in Santa Fe, New Mexico's capital city. It is one of the most honored hotels in the United States. Amongst its awards:
• U.S. News and World Report 2015 and 2014 rankings: "Top 20 Best Hotels in the U.S." and "#1 in New Mexico"
• The Inn of the Five Graces is a member of Relais & Chateaux, the prestigious France-based hotel association
What Kind of Hotel is The Inn of the Five Graces?
The Inn of the Five Graces is all of these good things:
• A five-star luxury hotel offering the highest level of accommodations and service
• A design hotel with exquisite accommodations
• A boutique hotel with only 24 accommodations (mostly suites) and the personal service you hope for
• An expensive hotel that lowers its rates with seasonal deals and packages
Unique Setting of The Inn of the Five Graces
The hotel is amidst of Santa Fe's downtown, three blocks from the central Plaza.
• It is set on a quiet street that fronts the Alamade River, a stream that bisects Santa Fe
• From here, you can walk everywhere in downtown Santa Fe: scores of shops and restaurants, museums, the Canyon Road arts district,
Barrio de Analco, The Inn of the Five Graces' Landmark Surroundings
The hotel is situated in the oldest urban neighborhood of the United States, Barrio de Analco.
• It was settled in the early 1600s, when Spaniards came up from New Spain (today's Mexico) to colonize today's New Mexico
• The Inn of the Five Graces opened in 1996 in a cluster of these antique adobe buildings
• Some of the inn's stone foundations and adobe walls date from the 1600s
Why Choose Santa Fe in the First Place?
New Mexico’s beautiful capital is a richly flavorful place with its own mix of traditions: Pueblo tribes, Old Spain, Wild West, the arts and New Age. Visiting Santa Fe is like going to another country.
• See all my reasons for visiting Santa Fe
Next page: Will you, personally, like The Inn of the Five Graces? Take the quiz
Will The Inn of the Five Graces Be Your Santa Fe Hotel Style?
Is The Inn of the Five Graces the Right Santa Fe Hotel For You?
You will probably love Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe if:
• Wherever you travel, you stay in the best hotel in town
• You want to be right in downtown Santa Fe
• You like antique, exotic decor that makes you feel you're in vintage Asia
• Yet you expect every luxury in your hotel accommodations and service
• You prefer small boutique hotels to bigger hotels
• You seek a private, romantic hotel
• You're looking for a cozy suite made for lounging, with a fireplace and cushy bed
• And an outdoor patio beneath fruit trees and beside stone fountains
• You want a good gym, nice pool, and great spa at your hotel
• You need a great spa on-property
• You'd like your hotel's staffers to make you feel loved
• Your budget can handle high room rates
You may not fall for The Inn of the Five Graces if:
• You prefer uncluttered, minimalist hotel rooms to highly decorative vintage surroundings
• The exotic caravan look is not for you
• You seek a sizable hotel with a social scene and buzzy lobby
• You love having dinner at your hotel or ordering room service, and want a full-service restaurant in-house
• You're traveling with young kids; while they're accepted here, this is a very adult hotel, with no children's programs or facilities
• Or you're visiting Santa Fe with a dog; Five Graces' ambivalent pet policy is restrictive to pets and costly to guests
Thinking "I'll love it?" Then check out the stunning suites at The Inn of the Five Gracesu
Gorgeous Guest Rooms at The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
Exquisite, Exotic Stye of The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
The Inn of the Five Graces occupies some of the oldest residential buildings in the United States, and its style is completely unique.
• Its look is exotic, and a world of its own
• Its colorful antique furnishings and artworks come from faraway places like India and Afghanistan
Every Room Is Different, and You Can Book Your Fantasy Suite
Why Does The Inn of the Five Graces Look So Exotic?
The hotel's storybook look did not arise overnight. Its founder and owner, native New Yorker Ira Seret, is credited with popularizing the colorful ethnic look that became the reigning style of the hippie era.
He relocated to Santa Fe in 1979 and opened Seret and Sons, an enormous showroom and store near the hotel.
• It remains one of the world's top sources of handmade rugs, textiles, furniture, and decorative items from Afghanistan, India, and Tibet (along with touches of Africa, Bali, and New Mexico)
Everything You See Here is from Seret and Sons
The Inn of the Five Graces is furnished 100% by Seret and Sons. From your suite's hand-carved teak bed to its pillows and throws -- is a Seret-imported, imported, one-of-a-kind artwork.
Accommodations at The Inn of the Five Graces
The hotel's 24 accommodations range from a house to rooms. But most guest quarters here are suites.
• Luminaria House is a separate structure, has two bedrooms, each on its own floor with master bath. The house features patios, decks, five fireplaces. and a cook's kitchen
• Two-bedroom suites offer two private bedrooms with a shared bathroom
• Premium Suites have a bedroom, separate living room, large bathroom, and kitchen nook
• Premium Rooms are like large studio apartments, with a fireplace and vast mosaic bathroom (more on the next page)
• The two Queen Quarters are spacious one-room suites
A Patio of One's Own
Suites on the lower floor of the inn's two-story adobe buildings feature private or semi-private patios.
• For other guests who want to relax outdoors, rhe inn's central courtyard offers chaise lounges
What You Get with All Rooms at The Inn of the Five Graces
All rooms contains these amenities;
• A woodburning fireplace
• A huge bathroom with magnificent custom mosaic work by Sylvia Seret
• A soaking tub plus walk-in shower
• Room snacks like chips and fruit plus a mini-fridge filled with juices and sodas
More Perks are Included in Room Rates
Room rates at The Inn of the Five Graces include:
• Complimentary wifi
• Full breakfast daily (in the breakfast room or room service)
• Daily snacks and treats brought to your room
• 24-hour gym access
Next: why you may never want to come out of your suite's bathroom
The Greatest Luxury Hotel Bathrooms Are at The Inn of the Five Graces
Luxury Travelers Are Obsessed with Hotel Bathrooms
Luxury travelers are connoisseurs of the good life. They crave the comfort of sumptuous bathrooms, and luxury hotels strive to indulge this passion.
The Inn of the Five Graces wins. This hotel has just about the most beautiful bathrooms imaginable.
These relaxation stations are huge and spa-like.
• They offer a soaking tub, walk-in shower, a chaise lounge, and double sinks of sculpting stone like blue lapis or green serpentine.
But that's not what makes these 'throoms drool-worthy...
The Astonishing Mosaic Art in The Inn of the Five Graces' Bathrooms
Every one of these bathrooms is lavished with mesmerizing art. It's everywhere: on the walls and on the floors, around tubs, in showers, on counters.
This amazing art is in the form of handmade mosaic designs,
• These enchanting creations are the masterworks of Ira Seret's wife, Sylvia Seret
• She is a noted mosaic artist with a rich imagination and a command of design, art history, folklore, and mythology
These Are the World's Most Seductive Hotel Bathrooms
Next: breakfast of luxury travel champions at The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
Dining at The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
Breakfast (and Only Breakfast) Is Served at The Inn of the Five Graces
Unlike most Relais & Chateaux hotels, The Inn of the Five Graces does not have a restaurant. It serves only breakfast.
But it's a very good breakfast,
• The strong coffee will help you do everything on your to-do list
• Entrees are varied, from New Mexican piñot nut pancakes to omelets to yogurt and fruit • You have your choice of where to dine: in the sunny breakfast room, in the courtyard, in your suite, or through room service, on your private patio
In-Room Snacking at The Inn of the Five Graces
Suites at The Inn of the Five Graces feature a mosaic-tiled dining nook.
• It's laden with snacks, and a mini-fridge offers high-end soft drinks (all included with the room rate)
• Every afternoon, a treat arrives from the inn's kitchen, such as a cheese tasting platter
Next: the wonderful service at The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
Five-Star Service at The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
What the Service is Like at The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
The Inn of the Five Graces is not a corporate affair. It is owned and run by Santa Fe's Seret family.
• The hotel's hands-on, perfectionistic managing partner, Sharif Seret, is the son of hotel founder Ira Seret and mosaic artist Sylvia Seret
The Inn of the Five Graces' staff delivers five-star hotel service.
• Staffers are friendly, charming, knowledgeable, ultra-helpful, and perceptive
• They know who you are, what you need, and just the right moment to bring you fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies
• Housekeeping is ultra-thorough, with evening turndown
Next: aah, the spa at The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
Spa at The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
The Spa at The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
Like the inn's rooms, its spa is a fantasy environment.
• It resembles an Asian temple
• Its treatments are based on India's ancient Ayurvedic principles of balance and flow
• Santa Fe is a hub of spa culture, and you're guaranteed an expert aesthetician or massage therapist
• See the spa's treatment menu
Next: the gym (small) and pool (big) at The Inn of the Five Graces
Gym and Pool at The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
The Gym at The Inn of the Five Graces
The inn's gym is remarkably spacious for such a small hotel.
• It has everything you need: the newest cardio and training machines, plus free weights, Pilates and floor equipment, and more
• Guest access is 24 hours
Pool at The Inn of the Five Graces
An outdoor pool suitable for lap swimming is open during the warm months, approximately June through mid-October.
How to find out more about Santa Fe's most fabulous hotel, The Inn of the Five Graces
Connect with & Follow The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
Get Personal with The Inn of the Five Graces in Santa Fe
• The Inn of the Five Graces website
• Reservations & info by phone 866.992.0957
• On Facebook
• On Twitter (@FiveGraces)
• Pictures on Pinterest
• Videos on YouTube
• Santa Fe tourism site
• The Inn of the Five Graces
150 East DeVargas St.
Santa Fe, NM 87501
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was hosted by the hotel for the purpose of describing it. For details, see our site's Ethics Policy.