01 of 06
The Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, DC: Stylish, Social, Affordable
So Many Hotels in Washington, D.C...
The array of hotels in America's capital can feel bewildering.
How do you choose one?
The Dupont Circle Hotel is an easy choice.
This welcoming, modern hotel offers something for nearly every type of luxury traveler.
(I'm a really picky hotel critic...and I really liked it.)
Luxury for Less at The Dupont Circle Hotel
And one of the best reasons to choose The Dupont Circle Hotel:
• This hotel is fashionable, yet remarkably affordable. It's a great value in a city destination not known for bargains
Woof! The Dupont Circle Hotel Adores Your Canine Companion
This hotel is unusually pet-friendly.
• Dogs under 25 lbs. are welcome free of charge
• No fees whatsoever (no typical, punishing "housekeeping fee")
• See what characterizes a pet-friendly hotel policy, like this one
The Dupont Circle Hotel Has Tons of Indie Personality
This is a relatively large hotel (327 rooms and suites), yet it has a personal air.
It does not feel corporate, with the predictable look and mood you often get in huge hotel brands.
Why does the Dupont Circle Hotel feel so homey?
• The Dupont Circle Hotel is family-owned by The Doyle Collection, an Irish hotel group based in Dublin; this is their sole property outside Ireland and the U.K.
• Where most hotels have a vast lobby and a small bar, this hotel does the opposite. The social space on its ground floor is given over to Bar Dupont and Cafe Dupont both D.C. hotspots, with a welcoming air and free wifi
If you're a visitor who wants to do nothing but this majestic capital's tourism stuff, and lodge close to them... this is not the hotel for you.
But if you want to spend only some of your time as a tourist, and a lot of time exploring the spirit of D.C., this is your hotel.
"Live Like a Local" Location
The hotel's setting, directly on lively Dupont Circle, lets you immerse yourself in this vibrant D.C. neighborhood.
• Dupont Circle is a thriving, sought-after area that many residents consider the city's dining, drinking, and going-out hub
• The hotel is a ten-minute walk from the happening 14th St. NW dining strip
• Art-lover's perk: the hotel is a momentary walk to The Phillips Collection, a private museum filled with modern masterpieces you know, and here they are
• From About's D.C. Travel Expert, more on the Dupont Circle neighborhood
Next: will YOU likeThe Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C.? Take the quiz! >>Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Will The Dupont Circle Hotel Be Your Best Choice in D.C.?
Will You Like Staying at The Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C.?
The answer is probably yes if:
• When you travel, you really want to get to know the city, and not feel like a tourist
• You'd like staying in a thriving, sought-after neighborhood that most residents consider D.C.'s dining, drinking, and going-out hub
* You're visiting The District with your dog and would love a hotel that doesn't charge one cent for them
• You're OK with being a Washington Metro subway ride from the White House, Smithsonian, National Gallery of Art, and D.C.'s other big attractions
• You like hotels that are small enough to provide personal attention, but not so big you feel lost
• You don't need five-star butler service, but you insist on efficient service and well-trained, friendly, helpful staff
• You need a beautifully designed hotel, and hope for sleek, sunny, pretty rooms like these
• You like hanging out at your hotel (this hotel has one of D.C.'s most popular café-bars)
• You always upgrade to the hotel's club level (there's a fine one here, Level Nine)
• You're in D.C. in business and need stylish meeting rooms
• You'll take advantage of an in-house, 24-hour fitness center
The answer is probably no if:
• You want a hotel within easy walking distance of D.C.'s famous places
• You’re looking for an ultra-luxury five-star hotel
• You prefer small boutique hotels to larger properties
• You like hotels with traditional décor
• You need a hotel with an on-property spa and/or pool
• You need a hotel that caters strongly to families
Your style? Find out aboutThe Dupont Circle Hotel's rooms >>Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Rooms & Suites at The Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C.
Style of The Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C.
The Dupont Circle Hotel has 327 rooms and suites spread over nine floors.
• Regardless of size, they're all well-configured and quiet
• They all have that up-to-the-minute, just-renovated feeling
• The overall mood: clean, contemporary, and artistic, but not stark or cold
What All Rooms at The Dupont Circle Hotel Have in Common
Rooms are intelligently planned and furnished. You'll have what you need:
• Ample shelf, closet, and drawer space for your belongings and luggage
• A lounge chair, desk with power strip, ergonomic chair
• Wall-mounted flatscreen TV
• Wonderfully comfy beds with silky sheets, down pillows, goose-down duvet
• Beautiful bathrooms of marble and frosted glass have partitioned johns, walk-in rainshowers with iridescent mosaic tiles, and ample light and counter space
• Key West-style white window louvers contribute Southern flair and total darkness at night
• Gratis bottled water and Nespresso coffeemaker
• iPhone/iPod dock/player/charger
• Free wifi in your room and everywhere at the hotel
• Complimentary 24-hour gym access
Even the Basic Room Is Nice Here
When I stayed at The Dupont Circle Hotel, I was assigned a blissfully quiet, good-sized, and perfectly laid-out room. • It had all the space I needed, a sleep-inducing king bed, a huge closet with shelves for all my stuff, and a big bathroom
• I was shocked to find out that my beautiful room was an entry-level, standard room: a Deluxe King
24/7 Fitness at The Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C.
The hotel gym is accessible to guests at all times.
• It offers cardiovascular machines, free weights, floor equipment, and more
• The hotel concierge can get a personal trainer for you
Next:the club floor The Dupont Circle Hotel has a private bartender >>Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Level Nine: Club Floor at The Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C.
Level Nine: An Entire VIP Floor at The Dupont Circle Hotel
This hotel's top floor, called Level Nine, was added to the building in 2009. The whole floor is Club-level, for that extra bit of exclusivity and pampering.
• See what you get by upgrading, and find out whether a club floor is worth it to you
• Level Nine appeals to guests who want or need more: politicians, ambassadors, CEOs, certain families, and honeymoon couples who have just been married at the hotel
• Level Nine is secure enough for visiting dignitaries, with a private elevator and many other security measures
The 15 Suites on Level Nine
This VIP floor is all-suites, with 15 accommodations that range from deluxe to presidential.
• Suites are airy, sunny, and elegantly modern
• They are individually and expensively decorated, and feel like city townhouses, not hotel suites
• Suites flaunt the hotel's exciting collection of art: from pre-Columbian Mesoamerican pottery to contemporary Brazilian paintings to photographs by actor/lensman Dennis Hopper
• Suite configurations range from one-bedroom to duplexes (with a separate wing for your entourage and bodyguard)
• All suites have stirring views of The District, and most have a balcony
VIP Perks and Service on Level Nine
It's not just the accommodations that are enhanced here, it's the level of service too. Level Nine guests can expect:
• One-on-one concierge service for everything you need
• A hosted lounge indoor and outdoor seating, great views
• Ongoing, chef-made hors d'œuvres
• A nightly cocktail hour
• And this lounge's hostess really knows how to mix a cocktailContinue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Distinctive Dining and Drinking at The Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C.
Restaurants & Bars at The Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C.
This hotel is a D.C. hotspot.
As soon as you walk into The Dupont Circle Hotel, you feel enveloped in a social scene, with room upon room of convivial lounging spaces for locals and guests.
• Daily happy hour is taken seriously here: Bar Dupont from 4 to 6, Café Dupont from 5:30 to 7
Bar Dupont at The Dupont Circle Hotel
Bar Dupont occupies prime real estate at the hotel: on the ground floor, overlooking Dupont Circle itself.
• By day, Bar Dupont is a coffee bar that serves snacks and lunch
• With free wifi, leather easy chairs, and lots of small tables, Bar Dupont is a great place for road warriors to work with your phone, tablet, or laptop
• Come 5 P.M., Bar Dupont buzzes with Washington’s hip crowd.
• Terrific modern cocktails -- classic bones, creative ideas -- are carefully made, with no filler like soda or fake stuff like sour mix
• A food menu tempts with satisfying dishes like a 21-day-aged Angus burger and charcuterie and cheese boards; you can order till late-night
Café Dupont at The Dupont Circle Hotel
Café Dupont is the hotel's impressive, hard-working restaurant, led by passionate Swiss-raised chef David Fritsche.
• Its menu is farm-to-table gastropub, with French touches like a creamy lobster bisque
• Everything is made in-house, from the to breakfast's corned-beef hash
• Dishes not to miss if they're on the menu: hazelnut-crusted scallops, braised lamb shank, carrot tortellini
• Breakfast/brunch is a special treat here, and renowned city-wide
• Café Dupont patrons can dine in the buzzy, stylish dining room...
• ...or outdoors on one of The District's leafiest restaurant patios
• And if you're into wine or beer, this is the place; even for a $7 brew, your savvy waiter will talk tastes with you
• See current menus
Private Events at The Dupont Circle Hotel
Some guests first discover the hotel while attending a private event here, and want to return as leisure travelers.
• With over 9,000 square feet of function space and three ballrooms, the hotel hosts all sorts of social and business events
Next: how to connect with and follow The Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C. >>Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Connect with The Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C.
Connect with The Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C.
The Dupont Circle Hotel
1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036
As is common in the travel industry, the Luxury Travel Expert was hosted by the hotel for the purpose of describing it. For details, see our site's Ethics Policy.