Thanksgiving Day and weekend in Reno bring us options for dining out, dining in, and participating in a variety of family friendly events and diversions. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because it's a time when activities revolve around lots of good food and visiting with family and friends.
Thanksgiving Day Dining at Reno and Lake Tahoe Casinos and Restaurants
Thanksgiving Dinner You Don't Have To Cook
Don't have the time or energy to prepare a big Thanksgiving Day dinner? There are several options available to you for a prepared Thanksgiving Day dinner without all the work.
If you do happen to be cooking and need some last-minute items, check these supermarkets open on Thanksgiving Day.
Here are just a few of the things you to do during the 2014 Thanksgiving weekend...
- November 18 - December 27 - "Christmas Wonderland" at the Eldorado
- November 25 - Downtown Reno Ice Rink at Aces Ballpark Opening Day (formerly Rink on the River)
- November 25 - Reno Holiday Tree Lighting
- November 26 - Thanksgiving Eve Interfaith Service
- November 27 - Scheels Turkey Trot
- November 20 through December 22 - "Polar Express" on the V & T Railroad
- November 28 and 29 - Animal Ark Wildlife Sanctuary
- November 29 - Wolf Pack Football vs. UNLV in Las Vegas (Battle for the Fremont Cannon)
- Evelyn Mount's Community Outreach
- St. Vincent's Food Pantry Seeking Donations for Thanksgiving Dinner
- Food Bank of Northern Nevada
- Reno-Sparks Gospel Mission
- Toys for Tots Gift Drive
- Salvation Army of Reno
- Non-Profit Organizations Thrift Stores
Black Friday in Reno is the busiest shopping day of the year.
Most of the big stores and shopping malls will be open early and stay open for extended hours. Shoppers will find lots of bargains on all kinds of merchandise as retailers try to lure you in to spend, spend, spend.
Thanksgiving Weekend Sporting Events at UNR
- November 28, 29 - Nevada Wolf Pack Women's Basketball - John Ascuaga's Nugget Classic
- November 29 - Wolf Pack Football vs. UNLV in Las Vegas
Thanksgiving Weekend Skiing
Most Reno / Lake Tahoe ski resorts and areas plan to be open shortly before or by Thanksgiving Day, including Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe, Boreal, Heavenly, Northstar California, Squaw Valley, Sierra-at-Tahoe, and Sugar Bowl. If there is enough snow, you'll also be able to mount family outings to some of our local snow play areas. Get the latest information from our ski areas and snow play articles.
- Reno / Lake Tahoe Downhill Skiing and Snowboarding Areas and Resorts
- Reno / Lake Tahoe Cross-Country Skiing Areas and Resorts
- Reno / Lake Tahoe Snow Play Areas
Thanksgiving Weekend Travel
Airport information, the best gas prices, and driving distances for your Thanksgiving travel...
- Reno - Tahoe International Airport (RNO)
- Reno Gas Prices
- Driving Times and Distances from Reno / Sparks Within Nevada
Don't forget to check the weather forecast and highway conditions before heading over the hill to Grandma's house.
Reno Parks and Recreation Closed for the Thanksgiving Holiday
- Northwest Pool
- Evelyn Mount Northeast Community Center & Pool
- Neil Road Recreation Center
- Teglia's Paradise Park Activity Center
- McKinley Arts & Culture Center
- Southside Cultural Center
- Sibayan R.E.C.
- Evelyn Mount NECC Pool
- Rosewood Lakes Golf Course (Seasonal)
- Idlewild Pool (Seasonal)
- Traner Pool (Seasonal)