TAP Portugal has put fall and winter airfares from the United States to Europe on sale. And as a bonus, it’s offering travelers flying to the 45 cities in its European network the chance to spend up to three days in Lisbon or Porto for free. Fares from JFK, Newark, Boston and Miami start at $499 roundtrip.
For travel between November 1 and December 14, travelers may stop and visit Portugal with a trip to London or Paris, from $499 or $508 roundtrip, respectively. This fare is for sale through October 18.
Travel to Spain between November 1 to December 14 and between January 8 and April 6, can include Lisbon and Porto on the way, from $640 roundtrip. TAP serves nine cities in Spain: A Coruña, Astúrias, Barcelona, Bilbao, Madrid, Málaga, Seville, Valencia, and Vigo. TAP’s other European destinations are on sale with the stopover also from just $680 roundtrip. These fares must be purchased by November 30.
For Christmas holiday travel, travelers may purchase airfare to one of TAP’s European destinations and see Lisbon and Porto on the way, starting from $693 roundtrip. Fares must be purchased by October 17, for travel between December 15 through April 16, 2017.
For travelers taking advantage of the stopover program can also download an iOS or Android app that offers a virtual ID card that can be presented for benefits and discounts to a network of more than 150 partners. They include exclusive prices in hotels, a free bottle of Portuguese wine in restaurants and free experiences, such as tuk-tuk rides, visits to museums, dolphin watching in the River Sado and food tastings. The app is also a tool that provides customer assistance, operates as a travel guide and allows customers to share their experiences on social networks.
For those stopping in Lisbon, it’s Europe's second-oldest capital -- after Athens -- and was home to explorers including Magellan and Prince Henry the Navigator. The capital of Portugal is built on hills that offer scenic views from around the city. It’s also close to the ocean, with beautiful beaches and a world-class, state-of-the-art aquarium.
Lisbon’s architecture is influenced by the great civilizations that resided in the country, including Phoenicians, Celts, Romans, Visigoths and Moors. Travelers can ride on vintage trams and visit attractions including the city’s medieval village-like neighborhoods, World Heritage monuments and museums. And take advantage of great food and a swinging nightlife.
According to GoLisbon.com, below are 10 reasons why Lisbon should be on your travel bucket list:
- CULTURE: It's one of the world's great historical cities, with characteristic and surprising sights, cultural treasures, and a beautiful setting.
- VALUE: It's officially Western Europe's least expensive capital.
- LOCATION: It's the closest European capital to the United States and just around a 2-hour flight from all the other major European cities.
- CLIMATE: Its mild climate makes it an ideal year-round destination. Even in winter, when most other European cities are freezing, in Lisbon high temperatures rarely go below 10C (50F).
- RESORT: It is the only European capital located so close to sandy beaches.
- SIZE: It's a compact and intimate city, ideal for a short city break or a longer romantic stay.
- VARIETY: Its surroundings offer an incredible variety of tourist attractions, from fairytale palaces in one of Europe's most romantic towns (Sintra), to world-class golf and fun in Europe's largest casino in Estoril, to surfing in Cascais or escaping to a natural park inArrábida, to dolphin-watching in Setúbal.
- GATEWAY: It makes a perfect base to explore many of Portugal's most outstanding towns and villages, from Evora to Obidos.
- SAFETY: It's one of the safest European capitals. Tourists are always automatic targets in all big cities and visitors should beware of pickpocketing in Lisbon, but serious random violent crime is practically unheard of in this city.
- WELCOMING: It's a friendly city with a cosmopolitan population, welcoming to all visitors and families with children, and open to minorities and alternative lifestyles.