Tailgating at Arrowhead :
Kansas City loves football--and with one of the loudest football stadiums anywhere and being consistently voted the Top Tailgating City in the US, I get goosebumps just thinking about waiting in line to fire up the grill and looking at the plume of smoke over the parking lot. It's football season, KC--time to fire up that grill and as they say...the smoke will always rise at Arrowhead.
Where is Arrowhead? :
Arrowhead is located at I-70 & Blue Ridge Cutoff. If you are coming from the East or West take I-70 and exit Head into Kansas City on Interstate 70 then Take Exit #9 - Blue Ridge Cutoff/Sports Complex .
Coming from the North or South?? Head into Kansas City on Interstate 435 Take Exit #63 B - Sports Complex exit.
The 'Secret' Entrances:
I don't know about you--but there is no way I'm waiting in line off of I-70 to get into Arrowhead. By the time you make it off I70, the game is about to begin!
Take Manchester via I-70 or Stadium Drive via I-435, you'll still have to wait, but not AS long.
For Chief's games, the gates open 3 1/2 hours prior to kickoff. The complex features parking for 26,000 cars, but get there early or you'll be parking in the back 40.
The Chiefs changed the rules in 2004. You can't park in an actual lot unless you have a season parking pass.
2009 Construction Info :
Due to the stadium improvement of the Truman Sports Complex in 2009, tailgating may be a bit different this season.
Here are some important changes according to the Chiefs organization to make note of.
- Red reserve parking is not Lot specific. You will be directed to the closest red reserve lot available to accommodate you as quickly as possible.
- To access Gold D and Gold E lots, enter Gate 5.
- To access Gold M, Gold B and Gold H lots, enter Gates 2,3, or 6.
- Remember Lot M has fewer spaces, so when it’s full you will be directed to Gold B or Gold H.
- Grass parking is available on a first-come, first-serve basis in many areas; however the vehicle cannot block a roadway.
- The interior roads on the east and west sides of Arrowhead
- Buses and RV parking is available in the gravel lot behind Lot N. Enter through Gate 6.
- Stadium (Lancer Lane & Red Coat Drive) are blocked due to construction.
- For those who typically park in the grass, construction trailers may now fill your favorite spot.
*Arrowhead Park is not available in 2009
The Chiefs instituted overnight camping in 2005. Located near lot N, Stadium Park, is for those who want to wheel their tailgating mobiles in the night before and get a jump start on festivities in the morning. Lights off at midnight, but you can move your car into a close stadium lot at 6am for no additional charge.
Camping tickets are $90/ per game. Extra vehicles/$110. Season passes are also available.
Other Chiefs Info :
- Red Friday 2009 http://kansascity.about.com/od/sports/p/RedFriday2006.htm
- 2009-10 Chiefs Schedule http://kansascity.about.com/od/sports/a/ChiefsSched2006.htm