I include many different types of events at About.com Phoenix. If your event is one in which I believe my readers would have an interest, and it takes place in the Greater Phoenix area, it would probably fall in one of these categories:
- - - - - -
Monthly Event Calendars: These are annually recurring events. Here is a sample of how those pages look. Every event must have a dedicated website page to which I can link, where a reader can look for updates, obtain contact information and see additional details.
At this time, I do not accept Facebook or other social media pages on these calendar pages.
Types of Events That I Do NOT Include in About.com Phoenix Monthly Calendars
I don't include these in my calendars:
- events that cost more than $100 per ticket
- restaurant, food or bar specials, discounts or giveaways*
- auditions, casting calls
- film screenings
- calls for vendors
- requests for volunteers or donations
- programs/seminars at doctor offices, clinics or places of worship
- band appearances at restaurants and bars
- multi-session seminars and classes
- garage or community sales
- farmers' markets
- real estate open houses, model home openings
- book club meetings
- artist gallery exhibitions
- events outside of Maricopa County or northern Pinal County
If, after reading the above guidelines, you believe your recurring event qualifies for inclusion at About.com Phoenix calendars, send me an email (email@example.com) with:
- The name of the event
- The date of the event
- A brief description (two sentences will do).
- The URL of the website
Your submission does not guarantee that your event will be included. I will send you an email if I publish it. Please include the email address firstname.lastname@example.org in your address book or my email to you may end up in your spam folder.
- - - - - -
Community Events, Job Fairs and Freebies/Giveaways: These are generally non-recurring, and may include fundraisers, family activities, library events, workshops, runs/walks, food giveaways, and smaller holiday special events. I no longer have a page dedicated to updating those events on a weekly basis (effective Feb. 29, 2016). I may still promote your event on my Facebook ("FB") page at www.facebook.com/AboutPhoenix if you send me the name of the event, a very brief description and a link to a FB page where the event or deal is outlined. I will consider sharing that on my FB page, as long as it meets my standards for publication.
I will not maintain schedules for posting. If the event meets my criteria, I will share on FB shortly after I receive the info. That means that if you send me a FB link today for an event that takes place six months from now, I will share it now. I will only share FB posts once.
- - - - - -
Special Holiday Events: On certain holidays I have special sections devoted to events. This is the only category in which I accept restaurant special dining events. Here is a sample of how that page might look.
Holiday specials: New Year's Day, MLK Day, Valentine's Day, St.
Patrick's Day, Easter, Cinco de Mayo, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Father's Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Patriot Day (9/11), Halloween, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas Eve, Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Year's Eve. In addition to those, I have special sections on culinary festivals, Hispanic Heritage Month, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Black History Month, and Spring Training.
If your event is holiday-related, send me an email (email@example.com) with the following details. Please use subject line on your email: Holiday Event Submission
Here is what I need:
Cost of admission and parking:
Is advance registration required? If yes, deadline:
Age restrictions or recommendations:
Briefly describe what will happen at the event. A few sentences will do. Please include any restrictions or requirements for participation:
Two More Things!
- There is no charge to submit an event, and there is no signup or membership requirement. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose than communication about your event. No ads will follow, no salesman will call!
- If you are unsure about whether or not your event or program or fundraiser is appropriate for publication on About.com Phoenix, just ask me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I'll let you know.