This ride is a gentle cruise past miniature scenes from Disney films such as Pinocchio, Aladdin, Frozen and Alice in Wonderland. It makes a nice, quiet interlude in a busy day.
One of the most fun things about the canal boats is the beginning of the ride when you sail straight into the mouth of Monstro the Whale from the animated film Pinocchio. It's also fun to see the detailed scenes and appreciate the detailed work that went into making them. Because it's a longer ride, it's also a good way to rest your feet for a few minutes.
What You Need to Know About Storybook Land Canal Boats
We polled 171 of our readers to find out what they think about the canal boats. 73% of them said It's a must-do or ride it if you have time. making it one of the lowest-rated Disneyland rides.
- Location: Storybook Canal Boats are in Fantasyland.
- Rating: ★
- Restrictions: No height restrictions. Children under age seven years must be accompanied by a person age 14 years or older.
- Ride Time: 6 minutes
- Recommended for: Small children and their families. It's also a nice, quiet break from the crowds and noise.
- Fun Factor: Low
- Wait Factor: Low to medium
- Fear Factor: Low
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low
- Nausea Factor: Low
- Seating: Ride vehicles are boats, with two rows of benches that face the center. You step down from the loading area to get in.
- Accessibility: You have to negotiate some steps and transfer into the boats for this ride, either by yourself or with help from your companions. Wheelchairs should enter through the exit. More about visiting Disneyland in a wheelchair or ECV
How to Have More Fun on Storybook Land Canal Boats
- If you're worried about the boats rocking as you get on and off, try to be the first one to get on and the last one to get off.
- The canal boats are perfect for smaller kids. Find more rides for your children.
- This ride covers the same sights as the Casey Jr Circus train. It's slower and has a longer wait, but is more comfortable for adults. If you ride one of these two, you may not need to do them both. At least from an adult perspective. Small children may see it differently, thinking of them instead as a boat ride and a train ride.
- Touringplans.com says "this ride is especially appealing after dusk when the creative lighting adds a whole new dimension."
- Storybook Land Canal Boats close a half-hour before each Disneyland parade for a short time to accommodate the parade route. They reopen after the parade passes.
More About Disneyland Rides
You can see all the Disneyland rides at a glance on the Disneyland Ride Sheet. If you want to browse through them starting with the best-rated, start with the Haunted Mansion and follow the navigation.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download Our Recommended Disneyland Apps (they're all free!) and Get Some Proven Tips to Minimize Your Disneyland Wait Time.
Fun Facts About Storybook Land Canal Boats
The canal boats are one of the original Disneyland attractions that were in the park on opening day in 1955.
According to Disney, the hand-crafted mini models are as painstakingly detailed as full-sized structures and many of the doors open for added effect (and to change the light bulbs inside).
Each canal boat is named after female Disney characters, with the exception of Flower, the adorable male skunk from Bambi.