Oklahoma City's Stockyards City district represents not only the metro's rich history, the city's importance as one of the largest livestock markets in the world, but it is also a unique area of western heritage celebration. With early 20th century architecture, it is home to many western-themed stores, the popular Cattlemen's Restaurant, weekly cattle auctions and a number of special events.
Stockyards City began as a packing area in the early 1900's when a group of investors, led by Anton Classen and Charles Colcord, opened packing houses south of Oklahoma City.
In 1910, the Oklahoma National Stockyards Company, a public livestock market, opened, and before long, the district was becoming one of the most important industrial regions of the metro.
With the growth of the market came commercial shops, homes, banks, hotels and restaurants. By the mid-1960's Stockyards City ranked as one of the top livestock markets in the world, and in the early 70's, it took over the top spot, a position it still holds today.
Location & Directions:
Exit south from I-40 at Agnew or I-44 at SW 15th and go east to Agnew.
Stockyards City is home to one of Oklahoma City's most well-known and longstanding restaurants, Cattlemen's Steakhouse. But that's not all. Dine at The Longhorn Cafe, Taqueria Los Comales or or Panaderia La Herradura.
The area features a number of unique, local retail outlets:
- Popular western wear store Langston's
- Western retail shop Cowtown Company
- Western Wear Outlet
- 4W Western
- Little Joe's Boots
- Shorty's Caboy Hattery
- Mike's Custom Saddle & Tack
- Oklahoma Native Art & Jewelry
- Prairie Dust Soaps & Stuff
- Vintage boutique Rusty Chandelier
Other Areas of Interest:
- Oklahoma National Stockyards auctions are held each Monday and Tuesday.
- Enjoy the weekly talent showcase at the Oklahoma Rodeo Opry.
- The Wright Library, the oldest in the Metro Library System, is located on the Stockyards City main street.
- The district is home of the International Professional Rodeo Association.
- June brings the Wines of the West Festival, featuring a number of local wineries.
- Stockyards Stampede takes place each October and has arts/crafts, food, bull-riding and more
- Cowboy Christmas includes western activities, a parade and more
Nearby Hotels & Lodging:
Looking to stay near Stockyards City? Here are a few hotel options:
- Colcord Hotel
15 North Robinson
Check guest reviews and prices for the Colcord Hotel on TripAdvisor
- Best Western Saddleback Inn
4300 SW 3rd Street
Check guest reviews prices for the Best Western Saddleback Inn on TripAdvisor
- Comfort Suites
4220 W. I-40 Service Rd.
Check guest reviews and prices for Comfort Suites on TripAdvisor
- Courtyard Downtown
2 West Reno
Check guest reviews and prices for the Courtyard Downtown on TripAdvisor