The magic of Disney and the power of the force usually combine for Star Wars Weekends mid-May through mid-June, but the popular event has been cancelled for 2016. The family-friendly fan-fest held at Disney's Hollywood Studios (previously Disney-MGM Studios) theme park will not be offered because of the on-going plans and construction on the all-new 14-acre Star Wars-themed land that was recently announced by Disney.
The good news for Star Wars fans is that they will be able to enjoy the Saga any time, not just a few days each year. However, Star Wars Weekends will be missed among those Star War fans who planned their vacations around the popular weekends where Disney's Magic and the Power of the Force combined for a star-studded event.
While all of the details of the Star Wars land has yet to be announced, highlights include:
- Star Wars: Path of the Jedi will feature scenes from the complete Star Wars saga, which will give anyone new to the Star Wars galaxy an opportunity to get acquainted with the films.
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple — The experience will take younglings to the secret site of an ancient Jedi temple where they will face Darth Vader along with a new villain, Seventh Sister, from the Disney XD series “Star Wars Rebels.”
- Star Tours — The Adventures Continue and Jedi Training Academy — Star Wars fans can enjoy these adventures year round.
- Star Wars Launch Bay features special exhibits and behind-the-scenes glimpses of treasured memorabilia and replicas of large-scale Star Wars artifacts and character meet-and-greet opportunities.
- One-of-a-Kind Collectibles — Star Wars fans will find a treasure trove of event-exclusive Star Wars memorabilia — from limited-edition Disney character figures (clad in famous Star Wars costumes), trading pins and commemorative posters to apparel, medallions, action figures and other commemorative items.
Once the Star Wars-themed land becomes a reality, expect to see an "A to Z" gathering of characters that will roam the streets of the theme park or be sequestered in meet-and-greet sessions in special photo op locations. Perhaps the theme park will even bring back the Star Wars motorcade parade that will feature Star Wars celebrities from time to time.
During Star Wars Weekends, guests were encouraged to join the fun by dressing in their favorite Star Wars-inspired apparel and costumes. Whether that will continue remains to be seen. Either way, expect most event activities to be included in regular admission to Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park.
Fans can visit DisneyWorld.com/StarWarsWeekends for the latest Star Wars Weekends' updates.