It may seem odd to celebrate Ireland’s national holiday in Germany, but just like in the USA, there are plenty of people with Irish heritage, Irish expats or people simply looking to party in green. That said, there are fewer celebrations that you see in the States, but with this guide we will help you track down the best St. Patrick's Day Party in your area of Germany on March 17th (or the nearest weekend).
St. Patrick’s Day in Germany
As mentioned before, St. Patrick's Day took a while to catch on in Germany. That doesn't mean there is a lack of real, Guiness-in-their-veins Irish people. The Irish Embassy in Berlin estimates the number of Irish residents to be between 1,500 - 1,700 people. And that isn't counting the boatloads of people who proudly tout their Irish heritage.
The two largest parades are in Munich and Berlin, but Irish pubs will of course be a popular site of celebration for the entire weekend. Look for live concerts, parties and events and be prepared to pay a small cover (usually under €5). And - bonus! - as this year's celebration is on a Friday, expect a party anywhere drinking happens.
Put on something green, practice ordering a Guinness in German ("Ein Guinness bitte!") and give thanks to the Irish. It is St. Patrick's Day in Germany. Slainte!
St. Patrick’s Day in Munich
The biggest Irish party in Germany is also one of the largest in all of Europe.
It takes place in the celebration capital, Munich. A small gathering of Irish expats in 1996 have turned this little party into a massive parade of over 15,000 participants and spectators. It is billed as the largest multicultural event in Munich (after Oktoberfest and the Faschingsumzug).
This parade also pays reference to the religious overtones of the holiday.
Celebration begins with an Irish mass and the parade is ordained by a priest.
2017 St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations in Munich
This will be Munich's 22nd St. Patrick's Day celebration in Germany. The parade always takes place the Sunday before St. Patrick's Day.
Sunday March 12th, 2017
- 12 noon: Parade from Münchner Freiheit to Odeonsplatz
- 13:30: Parade Ends at Wittelsbacher Platz
- Post 14:00: After Parade Party at Odeonsplatz with music- and dance displays on two stages
Full Parade Info: www.stpatricksday.de
Top Irish Pubs in Munich
In addition to the official festivities, every Irish bar worth its salt will be hosting their own version of special events and concerts. Find an Irish bar near you and join the celebration.
- Kilians Irish Pub - Frauenplatz 11, 80331 München
- The Temple Bar - Grafinger Straße 6, 81671 Platzl 2, 80331 München
- Dubliner Irish Pub & Sports Bar - Platzl 2, 80331 München
- Irish Folk Pub - Giselastraße 11, 80802 München
- Kennedy's Bar & Restaurant - Sendlinger-Tor-Platz 11, 80336 München
- Molly Malones - Kellerstraße 21, 81669 München
- Ryan's Muddy Boot - Schlörstraße 10, 80634 München
- Shamrock Irish Pub - Trautenwolfstraße 6, 80802 München
St. Patrick’s Day in Berlin
A ragtag start of a St.
Patrick’s Day parade in 2011 has turned into an enthusiastic gathering of Irish expats and fans in Kreuzberg. Over 5,000 people will make their way through the streets of Berlin accompanied by the sweet music of bagpipes, everything Grün (green) and many Späti (all-hours convenience store) beers.
2017 St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations in Berlin
Friday March 17th, 2017
- 1:45 pm - Gathering at Plänterwald S-Bahn (S8, S9, S85)
- 2:00 pm - Parade route: Plänterwald S-Bahn > Am Treptower Park > Eichenstrasse > Arena
- 3:00 pm – St. Patrick’s After Party
Full Parade Info: www.visitberlin.de/de/event/17-03-2017/st-patricks-day-berlin-2017
Top Irish Pubs in Berlin
Berlin is a city of bars from old German Kneipe to classic Irish pubs. Here is a selection of some of the best around the city.
- Oscar Wilde - Friedrichstraße 112A, 10117 Berlin
- The Lir - Flensburger Straße 7, 10557 Berlin
- Murphy’s - Schiffbauerdamm 1, 10117 Berlin
- Irish Pub im Europa-Center - Europa-Center, Tauentzienstraße 9-12, 10789 Berlin
- Blarney Irish Pub - Methfesselstraße 4, 10965 Berlin
- Dunmore Cave - Maybachufer 44, 12047 Berlin
- Castle Pub - Hochstraße 2, Berlin, 13357 Berlin
Irish Pubs in Hamburg
- The Shamrock Irish Pub - Feldstraße 40, 20357 Hamburg
- Finnegans Wake - Börsenbrücke 10, 20457 Hamburg
- Molly Malone's Irish Pub - Hans-Albers-Platz 20, 20359 Hamburg
Irish Pubs in Frankfurt
- O'reillys Irish pub - Am Hauptbahnhof 4, 60329 Frankfurt am Main
- Waxy's - Taubenstraße 11, 60313 Frankfurt am Main
Irish Pub in Cologne
- Jameson Distillery Pub Cologne - Friesenstr.30-40, 50670 Cologne
Irish Pub in Dresden
- Shamrock Irish Pub - Kleine Brüdergasse 1, 01067 Dresden
Irish Pubs in Düsseldorf
- Fatty's Irish Pub - Hunsrückstraße 13, 40213 Düsseldorf
- McLaughlin's - Kurze Straße 11, 40213 Düsseldorf