It may seem odd to celebrate Ireland’s national holiday in Germany, but just like in the USA, there are plenty of people with Irish heritage, Irish expats, or people simply looking to party in green. That said, there are fewer celebrations that you see in the States, but with this guide we will help you track down the best St. Patrick's Day Party in your area of Germany on March 17th (or the nearest weekend).
St. Patrick's Day took a while to catch on in Germany. That doesn't mean there is a lack of real, Guiness-in-their-veins Irish people. The Irish Embassy in Berlin estimates the number of Irish residents to be between 1,500 to 1,700 people. And that isn't counting the boatloads of people who proudly tout their Irish heritage.
The two largest parades are in Munich and Berlin, but Irish pubs will of course be popular sites of celebration for the entire weekend. Look for live concerts, parties and events and be prepared to pay a small cover (usually under €5). As... 2018's celebration is on a Saturday, you can also expect a party anywhere drinking happens.
Put on something green, practice ordering a Guinness in German ("Ein Guinness bitte!") and give thanks to the Irish. It is St. Patrick's Day in Germany. Slainte!
01 of 07
Munich Parade and Irish Pubs
The biggest Irish party in Germany is also one of the largest in all of Europe. It takes place in the celebration capital, Munich. A small gathering of Irish expats in 1996 have turned this little party into a massive parade of over 15,000 participants and spectators. It is billed as the largest multicultural event in Munich (after Oktoberfest and the Faschingsumzug).
This parade also pays reference to the religious overtones of the holiday. Celebration begins with an Irish mass and the parade is ordained by a priest.
This will be Munich's 23rd St. Patrick's Day celebration in Germany. The parade always takes place the Sunday before St. Patrick's Day.
Sunday, March 11th, 2018
- 12:00 p.m. - Parade from Münchner Freiheit to Odeonsplatz
- 1:30 p.m. - Parade ends at Wittelsbacher Platz, Blessing of the Shamrock, speeches of guests of honor
- 2:00 p.m. - After Parade Party at Odeonsplatz with music- and dance displays on two stages
Top Irish Pubs in Munich
In... addition to the official festivities, every Irish bar worth its salt will be hosting their own version of special events and concerts. Find an Irish bar near you and join the celebration.
- Kilians Irish Pub - Frauenplatz 11, 80331 München
- Dubliner Irish Pub & Sports Bar - Platzl 2, 80331 München
- Irish Folk Pub - Giselastraße 11, 80802 München
- Kennedy's Bar & Restaurant - Sendlinger-Tor-Platz 11, 80336 München
- Molly Malones - Kellerstraße 21, 81669 München
- Ryan's Muddy Boot - Schlörstraße 10, 80634 München
- Shamrock Irish Pub - Trautenwolfstraße 6, 80802 München
02 of 07
Berlin Parade and Irish Pubs
A ragtag start of a St. Patrick’s Day parade in 2011 has turned into an enthusiastic gathering of Irish expats and fans in Kreuzberg. Over 5,000 people will make their way through the streets of Berlin accompanied by the sweet music of bagpipes, everything Grün (green) and many Späti (all-hours convenience store) beers.
Saturday, March 17th, 2018
In previous years, the schedule has been:
- 1:45 pm - Gathering at Plänterwald S-Bahn (S8, S9, S85)
- 2:00 pm - Parade route: Plänterwald S-Bahn > Am Treptower Park > Eichenstrasse > Arena
- 3:00 pm - St. Patrick’s After Party
Top Irish Pubs in Berlin
Berlin is a city of bars from old German Kneipe to classic Irish pubs. Here is a selection of some of the best around the city.
- Oscar Wilde - Friedrichstraße 112A, 10117 Berlin
- The Lir - Flensburger Straße 7, 10557 Berlin
- Murphy’s - Schiffbauerdamm 1, 10117 Berlin
- Irish Pub im Europa-Center - Europa-Center, Tauentzienstraße 9-12, 10789 Berlin
- Blarney Irish Pub -... Methfesselstraße 4, 10965 Berlin
- Dunmore Cave - Maybachufer 44, 12047 Berlin
- Castle Pub - Hochstraße 2, Berlin, 13357 Berlin
03 of 07
04 of 07
05 of 07
Cologne Irish Pubs
- Jameson Distillery Pub Cologne - Friesenstr.30-40, 50670 Cologne
06 of 07
Dresden Irish Pubs
- Shamrock Irish Pub - Kleine Brüdergasse 1, 01067 Dresden
07 of 07