In Arizona, both the locals and the winter visitors eagerly await the beginning of Spring Training for Major League Baseball, and there are 15 teams that come to Arizona each year for a league affectionately referred to as the Cactus League.
The 15 teams whose spring trainings happen in the Phoenix area are the Arizona Diamondbacks, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Colorado Rockies, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers, Milwaukee Brewers, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, San Fransisco Giants, and Texas Rangers.
For the fans, Spring Training means great games, great players, jumbo hot dogs, cheap tickets, and the opportunity to get up close and personal with the athletes. Watching a spring training game is a great way to spend warm March days soaking in the sun and hearing the cracks of the bats. There are plenty of Cactus League games, but some tickets, especially for the Cubs, can be difficult to get.
The 2020 Spring Training exhibition schedule begins on Saturday, February 22 and goes through Sunday, March 22—a few days before the regular season starts.
Spring Training Stadiums
The teams in the Cactus League regularly train and compete at their own "home" stadiums throughout the months of February and March. The spring training home for each of the 15 teams are listed below:
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, Scottsdale
- Chicago Cubs: Sloan Park, Mesa
- Chicago White Sox: Camelback Ranch-Glendale, Phoenix
- Cincinnati Reds: Goodyear Ballpark, Goodyear
- Cleveland Indians: Goodyear Ballpark, Goodyear
- Colorado Rockies: Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, Scottsdale
- Kansas City Royals: Surprise Recreation Campus, Surprise
- Los Angeles Angels: Tempe Diablo Stadium, Tempe
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Camelback Ranch-Glendale, Phoenix
- Milwaukee Brewers: Maryvale Baseball Park, Phoenix
- Oakland Athletics: Hohokam Stadium, Mesa
- San Diego Padres: Peoria Sports Complex, Peoria
- San Francisco Giants: Scottsdale Stadium, Scottsdale
- Seattle Mariners: Peoria Sports Complex, Peoria
- Texas Rangers: Surprise Recreation Campus, Surprise
For a full list of "home" and "away" games for each team, visit the official Cactus League website, where you can also purchase tickets, check team rosters, and even plan your trip to Arizona for the Spring Training season.
2019 Cactus League Standings
The Cactus League standings don't have any bearing on the regular Major League Baseball season. The standings also often don't serve as a precursor on how teams will fare during the regular season. Witness the Kansas City Royals, who finished third in the Cactus League in 2019 but played well under .500 after the regular season opened. However, a good finish in the Cactus League can be a source of hope for diehard fans. Here's how each team finished in the 2019 Cactus League standings:
- Oakland Athletics (14 - 8)
- San Diego Padres (18 - 11)
- Kansas City Royals (18 - 12)
- Chicago Cubs (19 - 13)
- Milwaukee Brewers (19 - 14)
- Cleveland Indians (17 - 14)
- Los Angeles Angels (15 - 16)
- Colorado Rockies (14 - 15)
- Los Angeles Dodgers (14 - 15)
- Seattle Mariners (10 - 11)
- San Francisco Giants (13 - 16)
- Texas Rangers (13 - 17)
- Chicago White Socks (12 - 17)
- Arizona Diamondbacks (12 - 19)
- Cincinatti Reds (8 - 19)