There are many types of spas -- and it's important to understand the difference so you get the experience you're looking for. In general, a spa is a place where you can receive spa treatments, most commonly massage , facials, and body treatments . Spas are devoted to enhancing your health and well-being -- though medical spas have a stronger focus
Here's a guide to the different types of spas:
- Day Spa. It offers spa treatments exclusively on a day-use basis. Many also offer salon services. Size and character can vary widely. The important thing here is to find out if the day spa is separated from the noisier salon environment.
- Destination Spa. This is a term that was popular in the '90s and early 2000s, and still means something to industry insiders. But most consumers don't know it (and more importantly don't search for it online, so its use is falling away. Basically, a destination spa's sole purpose is to help you lead a healthier lifestyle through spa treatments, lots of exercise, and educational programming. Some destination spas have minimum stays of three nights. Healthy spa cuisine is served exclusively.
- Resort/Hotel Spa. It is located within a resort or hotel. It offers spa services, fitness classes and spa cuisine alongside less health choices like steaks and burgers. It's a good choice when one person wants spa and the other golf. It also works for business travelers and families.
- Medical Spa. It offers treatments that require a doctor's supervision, such as laser resurfacing and Botox injections. It also offers spa treatments.
- Mineral Springs Spa. It has natural mineral, thermal or seawater that is used in hydrotherapy treatments.
- Club Spa. A day spa located in a fitness facility or health club.
- Cruise Ship Spa Aboard a cruise ship that provides spa treatments, fitness and wellness components and spa cuisine menu choices.
- Airport Spa It is located in an airport and specializes in short treatments aimed at the traveler, like 15-minute chair massage and oxygen therapy. Some also offer longer treatments.