Naturists and nudists often go naked in designated areas for cultural and political reasons. This practice, often happening in a social setting, is typically used as a way to experience a sense of freedom, comfort, and liberation. There are millions of self-identifying naturists across the world who go clothing-free, either regularly or once in a blue moon. Almost two-thirds of adults in the United States believe that nude sunbathing should be allowed in some recognized beaches and areas, according to a 2015 study by Zogby.
You may not be a naturist, but sometimes you just want to go somewhere where you can be nude for a while. It's hot in the Southwest, and there are places where you can be topless by the pool, or nude in the resort's hot tub. Places in the Southwest region may include states like California, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and more. The following list is a good start for someone who wants to get a full body tan, get comfortable with their natural side,... or just go topless for a day.
01 of 04
Las Vegas is clearly the place, in the U.S., where the average person can participate in wild activities that they would never consider at home. Las Vegas is predicated on the basic assumption of re-invention of your personality, if only for a weekend. This includes topless sunbathing and nude lounging at Las Vegas pools.
Adults can bare it all at the following locations on the strip, although there are plenty of additional areas off the strip as well:
- Tao Beach at the Venetian Hotel: Tao Beach offers European sunbathing the first few days of the week for a hot daytime experience.
- Bare at the Mirage Hotel: Surround yourself with this intimate escapade in a secluded adults-only playground with a full-service bar.
- Moorea at the Mandalay Bay Hotel: This private beach club offers cabanas, villas, and a European bathing experience with massage services and more.
02 of 04
Sunrise Springs is situated on a spring-fed 70 acres in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Guests will find a serene sense of nature here, with ponds full of water lilies, frogs, dragonflies, and beautiful koi. The area is green with grasses, cottonwood trees, and organic gardens.
The resort's founders stress a commitment to sustainable practices. Since nature has a way of relaxing a person, the soft winds, rustling leaves, and sounds of water will immediately take their effect on your harried life. The resort includes one clothing optional hot tub, and it's not uncommon to see guests strolling the property in robes after a spa treatment or dip in the pool.
03 of 04
5 Places for Nudists in Arizona
Although getting nude in public is illegal in Arizona, there are several places that are clothing-optional, including resorts, pools, B&B's, and more.
- Shangri La Ranch in New River: The Shangri La Ranch is a family-friendly place that is welcoming to all.
- Mira Vista Resort in Marana: This is another family-oriented resort with optional clothing rules.
- El Dorado Hot Spring in Tonopah: This local spring has a gorgeous desert view for naturists.
- Royal Villa in Phoenix: This all-male adult-oriented hotel provides an atmosphere of privacy and comfort for those 21 and over.
- Arizona Sunburst Inn: The gay men's guesthouse and male-only hotel freshly opened in 2017.
04 of 04
Just south of the border lies Mexico, another opportunity for a vacation sans clothing. From all-inclusive options to quiet little beaches, this list includes selections for every traveler. Vacationers can enjoy sun lounges, hot tubs overlooking the bay, and activities with no clothes, beyond sunbathing, like dining and dancing:
- Temptation Resort Cancun: Temptation is a hotel with topless women, swingers, and entertainment like lingerie night.
- Zipolite: Zipolite is known as a low-key beach resort.
- Hidden Beach Resort Au Naturel Club: This resort has swim-up rooms, a moonlight lounge, and activities like body painting.
- Azulik, Villa Dolce Vita: This resort has beautiful villas, featured private decks, signature tubs, and more.
- Punta Serena Villas and Spa: This adults-only hideaway is full of personal pampering, intimacy, and a free mind, spirit, and soul.
- Desire Resorts: The world of erotic pleasure here focuses on fulfilling fantasies and waking the senses with this couples-only resort.