It's not surprising that along the volcanic areas of the Andes from Panama to the tip of Patagonia, South America has thousands of hot springs. Hot springs, or thermal springs, and geysers are associated with volcanic activity and recently formed, hot, igneous rocks.
Some of these thermal spots have been developed into resort areas, or spas offering services from mineral water baths, mud baths, massages to exfoliating and moisturizing body treatments.
Others are little more than a widening of a river. Wherever they are, they offer the traveler a welcome ease.
Urban spas may not have the natural, thermal springs to feed their baths, but they do offer all the luxuries to pamper and treat their guests. Plan a vacation with stops at one or more of these all-service spa and resorts and pamper yourself.
By country, north to south and back again, here are some of the spas and hot springs of South America. If I've missed your favorite, be sure to let me know!
- Volcán de Lodo El Totumo is a mud hill, or volcano. After the mud draws toxins from the skin, enjoy a massage and wash.
- Golden Rainbow Maremares in Puerto La Cruz has a lagoon-style pool with a wave machine, cascading waterfalls, spa, fitness center, medical evaluation, fitness testing, nutritional program, massage, and more.
- La Limonera in San Francisco de Asis, Aragua offers Aqua-Tonic, steam baths, aquatic jogging, hydrogymnastics, hydromassage, digitopuncture, relaxation exercises. Geotherapy, sweat Inipi ceremony, labyrinth, massages (Shiatsu, Lomilomi, reflexology massage, craniosacral therapy, acupressure). Autohypnosis, visualization, medical evaluation, lectures.
- La Samanna de Margarita Hotel on Isla de Margarita has a Thalassotherapy center, pressotherapy, Scottish shower, vibrosauna, aquagym, analytic pool, affusion showers, balneotherapy, hamman, massage, body wraps, facial treatments, hand and foot treatments. Thermals:
- Hot springs in Tabay on the trek through Condor Pass near Mérida in Sierra de la Culata National Park.
- Termas de Papallacta are the most famous in Ecuador, offering mineral, crystalline, hyperthermal, hypertonic, sulfate, alkaline terreous waters, volcanic in origin as well as clear. Massage and aromatherapy services. Termas de Papallacta Hot Springs boasts of being the best hot springs of Ecuador in beautiful surroundings topped by the majestic glacier of Antisana. Papallacta Hot Springs, and Termas de Papallacta offer various perspective of this popular spa.
- Arasha Rainforest Resort & Spa in Quito offers aerobics, biofeedback, more activites, plus a pool.
- Madre Tierra is a garden hotel in Vilcabamba offering virgin clay treatments, wraps, mud baths, colonics with coffee, reforestation of intestinal flora with acidophilus bacteria, steam baths, facials, massage. Beauty treatments, aromatherapy and more.
- Machachi in the Central Highlands is famous for its mineral water, springs and swimming pools. Guitig, a nationally bottled water, is produced here.
- La Mirage - Garden Hotel & Spa in Imbabura offers very luxurious spa treatments and outdoor recreational activities. photo Thermals:
- Volcanoes and Hot Springs of Baños
- Hot Springs of Oyacachi
- Hot springs of Chachimbiro
- Peru – Country Of Thermal Springs
- Natural hot springs in the small resort town of Churin
- Hot Springs High in the Andes
- Cajamarca, because of its favorable climate and hot springs, was a favored spot among the Incas to relax in 74°C water
- Tacna hot springs are called Caliente, for the water reaches 98°C
- Calera hot springs, a sacred spot in Chivay
- Churin, also a hot springs sacred spot
- Aguas Calientes, at the base of Machu Picchu, where travelers enjoy the natural hot springs after trekking the Inca Trail
- Amazon Hot Spring Trails
- Hot springs of Upis on the Azungate Trek as well as at stop at the springs on the Lauramarca River
- Ausangate Hot Springs – photo
- Peru's waters also boast medicinal properties. The seven lakes at Las Huaringas ("sacred lakes" in the Quechua language) have been used since pre-Hispanic times for magical and healing ceremonies
- Colca lodge Hot Springs in the Colca Valley
- In San Martin department, the hot springs of San Mateo and the sulfurous hot springs of Ormina are welcome relief to travelers
- Tambomachay Hot Springs
- Baños del Inca Hot Springs
Read the next page for spas and thermal hot springs in Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil.
- Desert in the Sky - Bolivia Uyuni Salt Lake
- Agua Blanco - Hot Springs
- hot springs of Sajama National Park,
- the Kamata River next to some hot springs
- Chalviri hot springs
- Puyuhuapi Hot Springs Internationally known, these hot springs are located in an area of exuberant native vegetation and natural beauty at Dorita Bay of the Ventisquero inlet. Its thermal waters reach temperatures of 85ºC and they are recommended to treat skin and rheumatic illnesses. Also, Termas de Puyuhuapi Hotel & Spa offers tours to San Rafael Lagoon, Queulat National Park, excursions to this cold wilderness, and fly fishing excursions. Termas de Puyuhuapi Hotel & Spa offers an indoor hot spring pool, two jacuzzi's, a fully equipped fitness room, two outdoor hot spring pools and a hot spring well. Hydromassage, clay baths, algae baths, mud therapy, clay therapy, marine salt bath, massages, sauna, cosmetology, podiatry, beauty shop, physical conditioning, stretching, passive gym, aqua-aerobics.
- Huife Hot Springs is a beautiful, modern hot springs located in the middle of Licura River's luxuriant vegetation. The temperature of its water is around 40º C (104ºF) and pool baths can be complemented with soaks in the freezing waters of the river. In addition, this place offers lymphatic massages and reflexology. These treatments are recommended for illnesses affecting the nerves and skin, arthritis, rheumatism, and stress.
- Hotel y Spa Termas de Puyehue, near Osorno, has since 1908 provided therapeutic treatments in their mineral waters.
- Hotel del Lago Resort and Casino in Pucon offers a beauty salon, gym, sauna, indoor pool, outdoor pool, solarium, hydromassage, Alpha massage capsule, massage (muscular relax, corporal reduction and reflexology).
- Termas de Chillan is an all-season ski and spa resort in the Lake District, offering hydrotherapy, Thalassotherapy, massages, and a wealth of outdoor activities. Thermals:
- Puritama Hot Springs in San Pedro de Atacama
- Baños Colinas, near Santiago in the Cajon del Maipo. There are nine pools of different temperatures that cascade down the side of a mountain. "The setting is fantastic - surrounded by Andean peaks, clear blue skies and the occassional condor circling overhead. It's a great day tour or for an overnight the German hiking club has a stone hut built in the 1930s with great managers and chef." Info thanks to Santiago Adventures.
- Named the best spa in Argentina, La Posada del Qenti in Punilla, near Córdoba, offers health, revitalization, and spa programs. Qenti Star health program treats nutrition problems, stress, smokers, diabetics and cardiological recoveries, plus mineral water springs and many outdoor activities.
- Agua Club & Spa Villa del Sur in Buenos Aires has a fitness center, yoga, solarium, massage, facials, hydrotherapy, fango therapy, aromatherapy, manicure, pedicure, virtual personal trainer, more.
- European Spa in Buenos Aires offers facials, body care, massage, manicures, hair removal, hand and foot care, whirlpool, body scrub, aromatherapy steam bath, body wraps.
- Yacu 'Rupaj Resort-Spa Termal offers hydrotherapy, dermatological and weight management services and more in Santiago del Estero. Thermals:
- Termas de Cacheuta in Mendoza is an all-amenities hotel and spa with outdoor activities and a thermal water park.
- Termas de Río Hondo in Santiago del Estero, the most important "spa-city" of Argentina. Read more about Termas de Río Hondo.
- Victoria Plaza Hotel in Montevideo has the Spa Victoria offering weight loss programs, massage, sauna, ultrasound, elctrolipolisis, thermoslim, passive isotonic and isometric calisthenics, criotherapy, mud, scent therapy, facials, more.
- The São Pedro Spa Médico - The Most Medical Spa In Brazil near São Paulo treats obesity and its complications.
- Costão do Santinho Spa in Florianopolis works with European treatment methods based on Detoxifying the Organism through Healthy and Natural Nutrition, accompanied by Hydrotherapy, Thermalism, Thalassotherapy, Physical Therapy, Physical Activities and Natural Treatments, as well as by the use of Medicinal Plants, Marine Algae and Biomolecular Medicine. The Spa also offers nutritional guidance and advice for the prevention and management of chronic diseases.
- Plaza Itapema Resort & Spa is a full-service beach resort offering nutrition, massage, Thalassotherapy, Physical Therapy, Physical Activities and other services.
Ccheck flights from your area to the nearest location. You can also browse for hotels and car rentals.
And of course, check to see what the Spas site has to offer.