Sonesta International Hotels Corporation is an American global hospitality company founded by A.M. Sonnabend in 1946 and rebranded in 1969 as Sonesta. Under the Sonesta umbrella are four different hotel sub-brands, including Royal Sonesta Hotels, Sonesta Hotels & Resorts, Sonesta ES Suites, and Sonesta Posedas del Inca in Peru. All these sub-brands are covered in the Sonesta Travel Pass Program.
With 80 properties and counting in seven countries, Sonesta is a growing brand. The Sonesta collection of hotels includes properties in 26 states in the US in addition to properties in the Caribbean, South America, and Egypt.
The all-suite chain, Sonesta ES Suites, is particularly popular with families because its guest room floorplans feature separate living and sleeping spaces and conveniences such as fully equipped kitchens and laundry machines.
If you're looking for a typical cookie-cutter hotel chain, Sonesta is not for you. Sonesta stands out from other chains in that it does not stamp its properties with a signature design and look. Instead, the brand strives to deliver a destination experience rather than a chain experience, opting for properties whose architecture emphasizes local culture and style.
Royal Sonesta Hotels
The most luxurious sub-brand in the Sonesta collection is Royal Sonesta Hotels, whose properties offer plush accommodations, exceptional service, and top-drawer amenities. The atmosphere is refined, with hallways that double as art galleries, manicured grounds, and high-end restaurants with locally inspired cuisine. Top picks in the Royal Sonesta group include:
- Royal Sonesta New Orleans: This hotel has a wonderful French Quarter location, luxurious accommodations, and a collection of 7,000 contemporary works of art. If you upgrade to one of the R Club level rooms, you will have access to 24-hour concierge service plus complimentary breakfast, tea and cocktails.
- Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria: Adjacent to the city's upscale shopping mall, this hotel offers spacious and luxurious guest rooms, a fifth-floor outdoor swimming pool and 24-hour fitness center.
- Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore boasts an unbeatable setting in the Inner Harbor that puts you close to major sites. Expect stylish contemporary rooms and suites featuring flat-screen TVs, Keurig coffee makers, and plush bedding.
Sonesta Hotels & Resorts
Properties in the Sonesta Hotels group deliver a traditional, upscale hotel experience in an urban or resort destination. Top picks include:
- Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach is an ultra-modern resort with gorgeous ocean views. Highlights include an outdoor pool and fitness center. Rooms feature mini fridges, flat-screen TVs, and Keurig coffee makers.
- Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island occupies 11 beautiful acres on Hilton Head and features a heated lagoon pool and full-service spa. Every room is appointed with an iHome docking station, coffee maker and mini fridge.
Sonesta ES Suites
Since its introduction in 2012, Sonesta ES Suites has grown to 42 hotels in 23 states nationwide. Each property offers oversized suites with separate living and sleeping areas, fully equipped kitchens, complimentary daily hot breakfast, 24-hour fitness centers, on-site laundry, and complimentary high-speed wi-fi. Top picks include:
- Sonesta ES Suites Orlando is a modern, all-suite hotel located 3.4 miles from Universal Orlando Resort and 6.7 miles from Walt Disney World.
- Sonesta ES Suites Colorado Springs is a 5.4-mile drive from the United States Olympic Training Center and 11.5 miles from the sandstone formations at the Garden of the Gods.
- Sonesta ES Suites Ann Arbor is a modern extended-stay hotel located 3 miles from the University of Michigan. The contemporary rooms range from studios to two-bedroom split-level suites. As always with Sonesta ES Suites properties, you can expect fully equipped kitchens and free wi-fi.
Sonesta Posedas del Inca
The three Sonesta Posedas del Inca properties are urban and country inns that embody the informal but rich Peruvian culture and deliver an authentic experience. The properties are located in Lima, Puno, and Yucay.
- Sonesta Poseda del Inca Miraflores is a cozy hotel in the heart of Lima's Miraflores district, known for its upscale boutiques, hip cafes, beautiful parks, and fashionable restaurants.
- Sonesta Poseda del Inca Puno is a Colonial-style hotel located on the shores of Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world.
- Sonesta Poseda del Inca Yucay occupies a former monastery in the Sacred Valley of the Incas. This upscale hotel is 2.5 miles from the grand Plaza de Armas and 9 miles from Eye of the Jaguar, the world's longest zip line.