01 of 05
What Kind of Hotel is Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach?
Why Stay at Sonesta Hotel Fort Lauderdale Beach?
Visitors to the cosmopolitan seaside city of Fort Lauderdale in South Florida, have their pick of appealing luxury hotels. This Sonesta Florida hotel is a four-star beachfront hotel with a lively lobby, sunny rooms all facing the ocean, chic modern design, and very friendly staff.
Sonesta Hotels, Born in New England
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale is a hotel operated by Massachusetts-based Sonesta Hotels International. Sonesta properties are known for their local flavor, like the welcoming Sonesta Great Bay Resort on St. Maarten.
Why Stay at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach?
This hotel has a welcoming attitude and great views.
• The staff is genuinely friendly in an informal way. They aim to please. The welcoming “B Vibe” (as the hotel calls it) strikes you the minute you enter
• If a beach view is a must for you, every room looks out directly onto the Atlantic
• Sonesta is situated directly on Fort Lauderdale's Certified Blue Wave beach: walk 50 paces across the street, and you’re on the sand
Who Stays at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach?
• Mainly Americans choose Sonesta, plus Latin Americans and Europeans
• Lots of couples stay here
• So do families (when I visited in March, there weren’t many young children)
• Yet you won't find lots of collegiate and 20something party-seekers here
• Sonesta hosts around one destination wedding per week; the guests stay here
• No critters, though; this Sonesta does not have a pet-friendly hotel policy
Location of Sonesta Ocean Fort Lauderdale Beach
The property is situated Fort Lauderdale’s hotel strip (Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd.) but set a little bit away from the downtown action
• For example, it’s a 10-minute walk to The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
• I enjoyed the relative serenity of being a little removed from the hotel vortex
The hotel is a good choice for visitors who like to walk. It's easy to get on foot to:
• Nice restaurants and cafés
• The highest-end shopping mall in town, the Galleria (Neiman Marcus, Macy’s, Elizabeth Arden Red Door plus eateries like Blue Martini and P.F. Chang’s)
• Directly across the street from the Galleria, a smaller retail area with various stores and services (Starbucks, bakery, hair and nail salons)
Fort Lauderdale's prime visitor attractions are very near this hotel:
• Hugh Taylor Birch State Park, a 180-acre tropical park with nature trails, volleyball, and canoes to rent. Its lush sea grape trees exist nowhere else along the whole coastline.
• Bonnet House Museum & Gardens, a 35 acres hacienda that was home to wealthy artists, among the first residents of Fort Lauderdale
• Riverwalk, a paved waterfront promenade, is a five-minute walk away
• Here, you can catch water taxis that ferry you all over Fort Lauderdale and to neighboring Hollywood
• At nearby bus stops, you can catch a Sun Trolley or call for a Way2Go Beach Shuttle (a golf cart that zips around)
See how nice the rooms are at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach (all ocean-view!) >>Continue to 2 of 5 below.
02 of 05
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach's Style & Rooms
What Sonesta Hotel Fort Lauderdale Beach Is Like
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale is a contemporary hotel with a modern blue palette and soothing blue-and-white rooms.
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach's Flashy, Fabulous Lobby
The hotel's white exterior is lit with South Florida Art Deco hues. Enter the modern lobby and you’re even more impressed.
• A wave design is done with bold lighting that changes hues every few moments
• This creative touch lends a fun, fashionable mood to the hotel
• The lobby has lots of seating and free wifi, making it like a social living room.
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach’s Rooms & Suites
The hotel's white, spacious rooms are modern, spare, and simple in décor. They are sunny, uncluttered and fresh-feeling, but not super-luxury.
• All rooms face the water; no room has a bad view
• A lower-floor room will have a close-up view of the beach; a higher-floor room will have a more removed view
• Rooms do not have terraces
• Aveda bath products are offered
• Room keys are easy swipe style
Complimentary Guest Amenities in Rooms
• iPhone/iPod docks
• Free wifi throughout the hotel
What's Absent from Rooms (though offered in a few suites)
• In all but three suites, room bathrooms have walk-in showers, not tubs
• Coffeemakers (though morning coffee is free in the lobby)
• Minibar in-room
• Complimentary bottled water (they are for purchase)
Parking at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
• Guests who bring or rent cars can park on-site for a typically steep urban per-night fee
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach's Top-Quality Beds
• The rooms' mattresses, Simmons' top-of-the-line Beautyrest Recharge World Class, have layer upon layer of quilting, coils, and foam. (Make sure you set a wake-up call!)
The hotel's 8,000-square-foot Penthouse Suite, with panoramic views, is rented for private events.
The pleasing dining & drinking at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach >>Continue to 3 of 5 below.
03 of 05
Hote Dining & Drinking at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Dining and Drinking at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
The hotel's very good restaurant, Bistro, is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's a relaxed place with a stylish, beachy-chic look. Lether banquettes and retro chandeliers give it a day-int-evening ook.
Breakfast is a winner, with both traditional egg dishes and lighter options like yogurt and fruit. All its artisanal breads, muffins, and pastries are baked in-house. Weekends bring a traditional American breakfast buffet.
Lunchtime offers soups, salads and sandwiches with culinary flair and international flavors. Lunch dishes are fresh and well-presented in generous portions
Dinner at Bistro often begins with sips from the restaurant's Enomatic wine system along the wall. This innovation lets diners sample and international variety of wines in their choice of one-ounce, three-ounce, or six-ounce quaffs.
Bistro's dinner menu features healthy, tasty Florida food like the popular Mojo Chicken andIsland Snapper.
More Dining Options at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Quench is a poolside bar and café.
• It offers tropical cocktails along with a menu of snacks and light meals
• Orders are delivered in bento boxes to your table or poolside lounger
The Lobby Bar opens daily in late afternoon. Its daily wine hour is complimentary for guests.
Room service, provided by Bistro, is 24 hours.
The pool & other recreation atSonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach >>Continue to 4 of 5 below.
04 of 05
More Things to Do at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Pool at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Th hotel has one pool, a large infinity pool.
• It is heated for year-round enjoyment
• Lounge chairs are plentiful and free of charge
• Curtained daybeds reminiscent of cabanas are available at no charge, first come, first served
• Quench Bar offers poolside snacks and drinks
Fitness at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
• An adequate, 24-hour fitness room is poolside
• The hotel rents bicycles at a low fee; they can be dropped off elsewhere in Fort Lauderdale
Spa at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
B’s Mix and Match Spa is a single suite.
• Its specialty is one-hour massages
• The name refers to a custom combination of several services within an hour
Service and Guest Perks at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Guest enjoy an unusual range of complimentary services.
• iPads loans, unlimited
• Wifi throughout the hotel
• Morning coffee to stay or to go
• Wine Happy Hour every day
How to connect with Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach >>Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
Connect with Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel
How to Connect with Sonesta Ocean Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel
• Hotel website
• On Facebook
• On Twitter (@SonestaFtLaud)
• Photos on Pinterest and Instagram
• By phone: 954.315.1460
• Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
999 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
More About Fort Lauderdale
More Good Hotels in South Florida
• Society Posh, with a Young Attitude: Eau Palm Beach
• Miami Golf & Glamour: Turnberry Isle
• Wellness Chic: Canyon Ranch Miami Beach
• Ocean Drive Art Hotel: The Betsy South Beach
• Best Location on Key West: Ocean Key Resort
• Sexy Small Hotel on Islamorada of Bloodline Fame: Amara Cay
• Funky Beach B&B Getaway: Crane's Beach House Delray Beach
As is common in the travel industry, the Guest Author was provided with a complimentary visit for the purpose of describing the resort.article, About.com believes in editorial transparency. For details, see our site's Ethics Policy.