Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is one of the ten busiest airports for passenger travel in the United States, and it becomes even more hectic during peak holiday travel periods. To ease the stress, the Phoenix airport offers discounts on covered, garage parking at the terminals. You can park the car and take the elevator right to the ticket counter or to your gate.
If you want to leave your car at the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX) when you travel, there are several options for on-airport parking lots.
Cheapest Airport Parking
If you want to use official airport parking, but want to save a little on the daily rate, the East Economy parking lots and garages, and the West Economy lots are not as convenient but are cheaper. From these lots, you may have to wait for a shuttle bus or the PHX Sky Train (it runs every few minutes, so it is rarely a long wait), and then take a 5 to 10-minute ride to your destination.
The Most Expensive Parking is the Most Convenient
There is covered parking at all three terminals at the Phoenix Airport. The parking garages at Terminals 3 and 4, the busiest terminals, and have the highest daily maximum fees. At Terminal 2, the smallest of the three terminals, the lower economy level (covered) has a very reasonable daily rate. If you park at any of the terminal garages, that means that you won't spend extra time taking a shuttle to the terminal — you're right there within walking distance of terminal ticketing and gates.
Discount Coupons for Parking
The airport used to offer a 40% off coupon for certain peak, holiday travel periods. That coupon program was discontinued.
There are no Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport coupons anymore. You may see coupons for off-airport parking companies that are not associated with the airport. For example, there is an off-airport parking company called "Sky Harbor Airport Parking" and they have coupons on their website. They are not associated with Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. It is a separate business entity and those coupons do not work at airport terminals.
Discounts at Terminal Parking Garages
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport offers Prepaid Discount Parking in the three terminal garages. You may receive up to 40% off the maximum daily rate in the Terminal 2, 3, or 4 parking garage when you reserve and pay for parking in advance. Here is how it works:
- Go online
- Enter the dates and times that you'll enter and leave the garage.
- Make sure you select the correct terminal garage.
- Verify the information, enter account/credit card details and reserve your parking spot.
- Receive the email voucher and print it. If you don't receive the email confirmation, your reservation might not have been completed. Check your spam filter. Investigate further.
- Park in the garage, take a ticket.
- Upon your return, present the printed voucher and your ticket to the parking attendant upon exiting the garage.
- If you register it will make your reservation process much easier in the future. Also, you'll be able to look up existing reservations faster. The system does not keep your credit card number on file.
- There is a small fee charged to use the Prepaid Parking program. It is still a great discount!
- Leave the printed reservation voucher in the car with the garage ticket so you don't lose it. You can also show the attendant your reservation information on your smartphone.
- If you cancel your reservation less than 24 hours in advance, you will be charged for one day of parking plus the convenience fee.
- If you end up staying for longer than you prepaid, you will be charged the difference by the attendant upon checking out of the airport garage.
- No other coupons or discounts may be combined with this program.
- For short trips or for trips where you're checking several bags (those golf clubs are heavy and awkward), park in the terminal garage since it doesn't involve an extra shuttle or train, saving time as well as wear and tear dragging those bags. From the terminal garage, it's a short trip to the ticket counter.
- The amount of the discount may vary. You'll know when you pick your reservation dates and before you pay. Beware: The economy parking sections at Terminal 2 are already lower than the standard daily terminal rate, so you wouldn't want to prepay at Terminal 2 if you intend to use economy parking there.
Pick-Up and Drop off
You can still pick up and drop off passengers at the terminals at the Phoenix airport, but you can't wait or linger curbside. Drop-off is easy. At morning rush hour leave a few extra minutes and be patient at the curbs. You can also drop passengers off at the 44th Street Station of the PHX Sky Train. If you don't want to pay the hourly rate for parking in the terminal when it comes time to pick up your passenger, you can use the Cell Phone Waiting Lots which are free. Just park there and have the passengers call you on your phone when they have picked up their luggage and are heading for the curb.
There is no charge to use the Cell Phone Waiting Lots at Sky Harbor. At Terminals 3 and 4 make sure you know whether to pick them up at the north side or south side of the terminal.