There are a number of ski resorts within a few hours drive from Washington, DC. This map gives you an overview of the capital region, showing the locations of the ski resorts in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. Most of the resorts offer skiing, snowboarding, and snow-tubing. The driving distances noted are averages from Downtown DC. Whitetail is the closest and makes an easy day trip, while Snowshoe is the farthest from the city and would require at least one overnight stay.
Most of these resorts make a nice weekend getaway during the winter months. For a complete guide to each destination, see 11 Ski Resorts Near Washington DC.
- Whitetail Ski Resort - Mercersburg, PA (1.5 hours) Take I-270 North to I-70 West to 4, Clear Spring. Take exit 18. Follow Balirs Valley Road to the resort.
- Ski Roundtop - Lewisberry, PA (2 hours) Take I-270 North to US-15 North to the resort.
- Ski Liberty - Fairfield, PA (1.25 hours) Take I-270 North to US-15 North to 78 Country Club Trail.
- Wisp Ski Resort - McHenry, MD (3 hours) Take I-270 North to I-70 West to 1-68 West to US-219 South/US 40 East. Take Exit 14A, Follow US 219 South to 296 Marsh Hill Road.
- Wintergreen Ski Resort - Wintergreen, VA (3 hours) Take I-66 West to US-29 South to VA-151 South. Take State Rte 664 to Faiway Oaks Lane.
- Canaan Valley Resort - Davis, WV (3 hours) Take I-66 West to US-48 West to WV-93 to Camp 70 Rd/Delta Rd 1 to Co Rte 32/15.
- Seven Springs Ski Resort - Champion, PA (3.5 hours) - Take I-270 North to I-70 West to I-76 West to PA Turnpike, exit 110. Take PA-281 South, Sr3029 and Countyline Rd to 777 Water Wheel Dr.
- Snowshoe Ski Resort - Snowshoe, WV (4.5-5 hours) Take I-66 West to 81 South to VA-257 West, Take exit 240. Take VA-42South to US-250 West to VA-84 West to WV-92 North and WV-66 West to Snowshoe Dr.
- Massanutten Resort - Harrisonburg, VA (2 hours) Take I-66 West to 81 South to US-33 East. Take Exit 247A, continue on US-33 East to State Route 644, 1822 Resort Dr.
- Bryce Mountain Resort - Basye, VA (2 hours) Take I-66 West to 81 South to State Rte 703. Take exit 273. Take VA 263 West to the resort.
- Timberline Resort - Davis, WV (3 hours) Take I-66 West US-48 West to WV-93. Take WV-32 South to Four Seasons Dr.
The Capital region offers a wide range of activities year-round. See a guide to Outdoor Recreation in Washington DC, Maryland and Northern, VA. Looking for more winter fun? See 15 Winter Family Fun Activities in the Washington DC Area.
See also Great Sledding Hills in the Washington DC Area.