Silver Spring is a suburban city located in Montgomery County, Maryland just north of Washington, DC. The Downtown Silver Spring area has recently undergone a major transformation with the addition of great restaurants, entertainment, and a variety of shopping venues. During the warmer months, visitors enjoy outdoor concerts and patio dining. The State of Maryland established the Silver Spring Arts and Entertainment District in 2001 to help develop and promote community involvement, tourism and business revitalization in the area.
Silver Spring often refers to a large geographic area, extending from the borders of Washington, DC to the south, Prince George's County, Maryland to the east and Howard County, Maryland to the north. The Downtown area is located along Georgia Avenue about 2 miles south of the Capital Beltway (I-495).
See a map.
Neighborhoods Near Silver Spring
Kemp Mill, Fenton Village, Takoma Park; Woodside, Montgomery Hills, Blair, Seven Oaks, Calverton, Capitol View Park, Cloverly, Colesville, Fairland, Forest Glen, Four Corners, Hillandale, Montgomery Hills, Rock Creek Forest, Rosemary Hills, Wheaton, White Oak, Woodmoor, Aspen Hill
Silver Spring Demographics
According to the 2010 census, Silver Spring is home to 71,452 residents. The race breakdown is as follows: White: 45.7%; Black: 27.8%; Asian: 7.9%; Hispanic/Latino: 26.2 %. Population under age 15: 19.7%; 65 and over: 9.6 %; Median household income: $ 72,289 (2014).
Silver Spring Public Transportation
The $91 million Paul S. Sarbanes Transit Center opened in 2015 to facilitate the growing demand for public transportation in the Silver Spring area. The new center is a multilevel, multimodal facility which brings the region's transit systems together under one roof.
MARC Train (Brunswick Line)
Metrorail Red Line
Metrobus Ride On
Greyhound Bus Terminal
Major Points of Interest in Silver Spring
- AFI Silver Theater and Cultural Center - The education and cultural center features independent, and foreign films, documentaries and classic cinema
- The Fillmore Silver Spring - The concert hall presents a wide range of music including rock, Latin, blues, jazz, folk, country and more.
- National Capital Trolley Museum - The museum tells the history of street cars in the Washington DC area.
- Round House Theater - The theater and education center features stage performances and runs performing arts programs for all ages.
- The Cultural Arts Center, Montgomery College - The center offers a varied set of cultural performances, lectures, films, and conferences. It is a resource for improving cultural literacy, encouraging cross-cultural understanding, and to build bridges between the arts, cultural studies, and all disciplines concerned with the expression of culture.
Silver Spring Annual Events
Silver Spring Hotels
Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown Silver Spring - 8506 Fenton Street
Courtyard by Marriott - Silver Spring North - 12521 Prosperity Drive
Residence Inn by Marriott - 12000 Plum Orchard Drive
Hampton Inn Silver Spring - 8728-A Colesville Road
Homewood Suites - 8728 Colesville Road
Sheraton Silver Spring - 8777 Georgia Avenue
DoubleTree by Hilton - 8727 Colesville Road