Shoreline Amphitheater is a pretty venue, with a large, tent-like structure over the stage. It's located on the shores of the southern San Francisco Bay and is popular with locals.
The Venue and Crowd Factor
With 6,500 fixed seats and lawn seating that brings its capacity to 22,000, this outdoor amphitheater sits near the southern end of the San Francisco Bay. It's a sprawling venue where you may need binoculars just to find the performers on the stage, much less see what they're doing.
This is a big place where you won't feel crowded for many shows. However, the most popular country and rock groups can draw big crowds.
Likes and Dislikes
Shoreline Amphitheater is a cool place to go on a hot summer evening. Situated by the Bay, its natural air conditioning makes it comfortable by showtime on even the hottest days. It's popular with many Bay area residents who enjoy the groups performing here.
Large video screens give a close-up view of the performers, no matter where you sit.
Shoreline is not without its faults, however. On our last visit, there was far too much funny-smelling smoke in the air (if you know what I mean). We also read many complaints about concert-goer behavior that ruins others' experiences - and it seems the venue's management does little to control these problems.
- On the lawn, you can bring low backed-beach chairs.
- You may not need sunscreen because the sun sets before the show starts, but insect repellent is a good idea.
- Snack or picnic food (one clear, plastic gallon-size bag per person) and factory-sealed bottled water (one per person) are allowed, but alcohol and any cans or bottles are not.
- To save money, skip the alcohol. If you plan to buy alcoholic beverages, stop and get a wristband when you arrive.
- For most shows, blankets are allowed.
- Leave "professional" cameras, video equipment and recording devices at home.
- No pets allowed.
- For some shows, there's a Family Zone on the lawn, where no smoking or alcohol is allowed. Seating is first to come, first served.
- Leave your bag at home and get through the gate faster. No Bag/Express Entry lane is at both gates, on either side of the Box Office. Guests carrying no items or nothing larger than a hand-held clutch can use the express entry.
- Download the Live Nation app to your mobile device. Everything you need for an easy and perfect concert experience is in this app. Your tickets, directions, updates, parking, and you can even pre-order food through this app.
- For popular shows, get there early. It takes a while to drive in and get parked.
Tickets and Reservations
Tickets are sold for fixed seats in the lower level (best) and upper level or on the lawn (cheapest). Buy tickets online or at the box office (650-967-4040) early to avoid disappointment. Consult a seating chart, so you know where you'll be sitting.
The reserved seating has 6,500 seats, which you can reserve in advance. The lawn behind them has room for 15,500 more, seated picnic-style on the grass. The lowest part of that grassy area is only a few feet further from the stage than the fixed seats just below, but the tickets cost less.
If you buy your tickets at the Shoreline box office, you won't have to pay their ticket surcharge. Their hours are limited.
If tickets sell out, try Stubhub or call the box office often, asking for released House seats.
Where is Shoreline Amphitheater?
Shoreline Amphitheater is located 10 miles north of San Jose, 35 miles south of San Francisco at One Amphitheater Parkway, Mountain View.
Parking is included in your ticket price, so you might as well park in their lot. They do offer VIP parking for an additional charge.