Friendship Heights is a wealthy area of Washington, D.C., located on the Maryland border, best known for its high-end shopping and variety of restaurants.
Getting to Friendship Heights
This neighborhood is located right on a Metro stop, bearing its name Friendship Heights, making it especially easy to get to for out of towners, and those unfamiliar with the Metro.
There is also metered parking available along Wisconsin Avenue, as well as the cross streets along Western Avenue. Some retailers validate parking in the public lots, so be sure to ask if this is something they offer before returning to your car.
Shopping in Friendship Heights
The prime shopping area of Friendship Heights is centered at the intersection of Wisconsin and Western Avenues. This area has several upscale shopping plazas with hundreds of stores to choose from. For a guide to shopping in other places in the District, read this article about Shopping in the Washington, D.C. Area.
- Mazza Gallerie - Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue are the two anchor department stores here, offering high-end clothing, shoes, accessories, and jewelry. Stores include Ann Taylor, Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma and more. The mall also has an 8-screen AMC Theatre and a four-level parking garage. 5300 Wisconsin Ave., NW, Washington, D.C.
- Chevy Chase Pavilion - This small but upscale collection of stores includes J Crew, H & M, World Market, Hold Everything, and more. There are also many amenities on site including a Starbucks, an Embassy Suites Hotel, a Washington Sports Club, and quite a few restaurants, making it a great place to stay, as well as shop. 5335 Wisconsin Ave., NW, Washington, D.C.
- Shops at Wisconsin Place – This shopping mall has a Bloomingdale’s, along with smaller shops like BCGB MaxAzria, Talbots, Cole Haan, Eileen Fisher, Sephora, and White House/Black Market. There is also a Whole Foods Market, so you can get all of your shopping done at the same time. 5310 Western Ave, Chevy Chase, MD.
Dining in Friendship Heights
The area offers dining options ranging from casual eateries to fine dining and everything in between.
- Chevy Chase Pavilion Dining Options
- Range. This restaurant has an open kitchen and offers New American cuisine.
- Volt Lunch Box. Perfect for a quick bite, Volt serves up fresh salads and hearty sandwiches.
- Cheesecake Factory. Expect big portions and a wide variety of cheesecake options in this national chain restaurant.
- Maggianos Little Italy. If you’re searching for Italian classics like chicken parmigiana and pasta, Maggiano’s is the spot for you.
- Wisconsin Place Dining Options
- Le Pain Quotidien. Find authentic French bakery items, salads, sandwiches and more in this casual restaurant.
- P.F. Chang’s China Bistro. The flavors of Pan Asian cuisine are on the menu in this striking restaurant with beautiful decor.
- The Capital Grille. If you’re craving steak, look no further than The Capital Grille Steakhouse in an alluring space.
- Other Local Dining Options
- Clyde's of Chevy Chase. This local chain serves American cuisine in a refined space. 5441 Wisconsin Ave NW
- Rosa Mexicano. Chow down on Mexican favorites like tacos, burritos and of course, Margaritas at this cocina. 5225 Wisconsin Ave NW
- Booeymonger. It has a strange name, but don’t let that deter you from visiting this local favorite. Booeymonger serves up delicious, made to order sandwiches as well as classic breakfast items. 5252 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
- Meiwah Restaurant. Meiwah offers a mix of Hunan, Cantonese, and Sichuan dishes, and also has a sushi bar, so there is something for even the pickiest of eaters. 4457 Willard Ave.
- Sushiko. Sushi fans will love this sleek restaurant with a tasting menu and plenty of vegetarian options. 5455 Wisconsin Ave.