Shea Stadium and Mets 2008 Season:
Shea Stadium and Mets baseball has gone together since 1964, but 2008 was the last season the Mets play in Shea. 2008 was the last chance to visit the ballpark that saw 1,000 disappointments and a bunch of unforgettable miracles.
- Shea Stadium address:
- 123-01 Roosevelt Ave, Flushing, NY 11368
Mets Schedule 2008 - Home Games at Shea Stadium:
The Mets play 81 regular season home games at Shea Stadium in 2008.
- Home Opener at Shea - April 8, 2008, 1:10 p.m., versus the Philadelphia Phillies
- Subway Series - The Mets play the New York Yankees on May 16, 17, and 18, 2008, in the Bronx (and for the last time at the house that Ruth built), and on June 27, 28, and 29 at Shea Stadium.
- Spring Training is February 26 to March 29, 2008
Driving Directions to Shea Stadium:
- Grand Central Parkway
- East. To Northern Blvd/Shea Stadium (Exit 9E).
- West. To Northern Blvd/Shea Stadium (Exit 9W). Left for P1/P9 or right for P2.
- Van Wyck/Whitestone Expressway
- Whitestone-south. To Linden Blvd (Exit 14), turn left on College Point Blvd. Right on Roosevelt Ave.
- Van Wyck-north. To Northern Blvd West (Exit 13W) to Shea Stadium Exit.
- Long Island Expressway (LIE)
- East. Midtown Tunnel to LIE to Grand Central-west (exit 22A).
- West. To Grand Central-west (exit 22A).
- Or to College Point Blvd. Continue north on College Point and you will soon see parking signs on left (under Van Wyck).
Driving and Parking at Shea Stadium:
- Main Parking at Shea is as you exit the Grand Central at 9E and 9W.
- More Access Roads: Northern Blvd, Roosevelt Ave, College Point Blvd.
- More - Parking Tips Below
Getting to Shea Stadium by Subway, LIRR, or Bus:
Subway - The Best Way To Shea
- 7 subway to Willets Pt/Shea Stadium. Exit station and take pedestrian ramp to Shea.
- LIRR to Willets Point, on Port Washington line. Exit station north and take pedestrian ramp to Shea. The Port Washington line connects to Penn Station, not to Jamaica or Brooklyn.
- Q44, Q66
- From Highlands, NJ: Seastreak (800-BOATRIDE) and New York Fast Ferry (732-291-2210) run ferries for special games from New Jersey. Call for schedules and prices.
Eating and Drinking at Shea Stadium:
There's an eatery at Field Level near third base. Mets Kids Concession stands are on all levels, as are regular snack bars. On the Press Level is the Grill Room.
Kosher Food at Shea: Right Field Food Court is on the Field Level, Section 3 of the Loge, and Section 6 of the Mezz.
Alcohol Free Seating: No alcohol allowed in Upper Reserved sections: 10-12-14-16.
Tailgating in the parking lots is officially discouraged by the Mets, but it's common at games, especially on weekends.
Shea Stadium History and Future:
Opened in 1964, Shea Stadium has been the home of the New York Mets for over 40 years. In 2005 the Mets announced announced plans to build a new ballpark for the Mets, ready in time for the 2009 season. The new ballpark -- now known as Citifield -- would be built next to Shea, and then Shea Stadium would be torn down.
Construction of Citifield has been swift, and fans often stop to gawk at the rising structure when arriving at Shea Stadium.
Mets Rain Games:
If a games rains out before an official games is played (fifth inning), you can get a rain check that can be exchanged for the same priced seat at any Mets home game, or refunded during the current or next calendar year. Contact the Ticket Office at Shea Stadium for details and exceptions:
Shea Stadium Picnic Area:
Shea Stadium's largest and most popular area for large groups is the Picnic Area beyond the left-center field fence. Tickets for the Picnic Area is sold to groups of 100 to 1,400. Call the Group Sales Office at 718-565-4348.
Shea Stadium Parking:
The main parking lots are P1 and P2:
- P1 "A" Lot: Enter from 126th St, near Northern Blvd. This is the largest Shea Stadium parking lot. Across the street are Willets Point auto body shops.
- P2 "South" Lot: Use Flushing Meadows turnoff from Roosevelt Ave east, or the Roosevelt Ave East signs from Stadium Rd.
- P3 Whitestone Lot: Under highway. Enter from Northern Blvd or Marina circle. Very small lot, adjacent to Marina.
- P4 World's Fair Marina: Shea exit from Northern Blvd west, or Northern/Astoria Blvd. West exit from Van Wyck north. This is a smaller lot with a walk to the stadium, but it's nice to be on the water.
- P12 Van Wyck Lot: Under highway. Enter via College Pt Blvd. From this lot it's over a mile walk to the stadium.
Other parking areas become available for high-demand games.
- Parking at NY Hall of Science, Lot P5, exit 10 from Grand Central. Located on opposite side of Grand Central from Shea. Trolley service available to Shea.
- Parking in Flushing Meadows, Lots P6, P7, P11, exit 9P from Grand Central and turn right. Continue past Queens Museum. Trolley service available to Shea.
Shea Stadium address: 123-01 Roosevelt Ave.
Flushing, NY 11368