Forget about that singing fat lady, summer in NYC isn't over till the street fairs fade away, and, happily, there are still plenty on their way, including the most famous of them all—the San Gennaro Festival (running from September 15th through September 25th in 2016). September is a great time, with pleasantly cooled-down temps, to indulge in your favorite fair fare, to have a hand at some bargain shopping, and to set out for some serious people-watching.
Here's the schedule of Manhattan street fairs for September 2016:
- September 2 (Friday): NADAP Grand Central Health Fair: 40th St. btwn 3rd & Lexington aves.
- September 3 (Saturday): Broadway Village Fair; Broadway btwn Waverly Pl. & 14th St.
- September 4 (Sunday): 32nd Annual Brazilian Day Festival; 6th Ave. btwn 46th & 56th sts., 46th St. btwn Madison & 7th aves.
- September 4 (Sunday): Fourth Avenue Festival; 4th Ave. btwn 9th & 14th sts.
- September 5 (Labor Day Monday): Swing Street Block Party; 52nd St. btwn 5th & 6th aves.
- September 9 (Friday): Grand Central Food Festival Series #4; 42nd St. btwn 3rd & Lexington aves.
- September 10 (Saturday): Fulton Street Follies; Fulton St. btwn Gold St. & Broadway
- September 10 (Saturday): Broadway Festival; Broadway btwn Waverly & 14th sts.
- September 11 (Sunday): 52nd Street Fair; 52nd St. btwn 6th & 7th aves.
- September 11 (Sunday): 3rd Avenue Community Benefit Festival; 3rd Ave. btwn 66th & 86th sts.
- September 15–25 (Thursday–Sunday): Feast of San Gennaro; Mulberry St. in Little Italy
- September 17 (Saturday): Third Avenue Merchandise Fair; 3rd Ave. btwn 14th & 23rd sts.
- September 18 (Sunday): Amsterdam Avenue Fair; Amsterdam Ave. btwn 96th & 106th sts.
- September 18 (Sunday): 92 Street Y Lexington Avenue Festival; Lexington Ave. btwn 79th & 96th sts.
- September 18 (Sunday): Columbus Avenue Festival; Columbus Ave. btwn 66th & 86th sts.
- September 24 (Saturday): The Seaport Festival; Water St. btwn Fulton & Broad sts.
- September 25 (Sunday): Times Square Fall Fair; Broadway btwn 47th & 57th sts.
- September 30 (Friday): Midtown East Food Block Party; 54th St. btwn Lexington & 3rd aves.
Looking ahead to more 2016 street fairs in Manhattan? Check out the street fair schedules for October.
Note that this information was accurate at time of publication; street fairs might be cancelled or rescheduled for inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
Did I miss one? Please let me know about any and all street fairs for September and beyond on About.com Manhattan's Facebook page.