The Seattle and Tacoma area's holiday event schedule is packed with all kinds of live, family-friendly entertainment, from choral performances to ballet dance showcases as well as traditional theatre plays.
Attending a performance of the Pacific Northwest Ballet's The Nutcracker and the A Contemporary Theatre's (ACT) A Christmas Carol are well-established local traditions. Popular local arts organizations such as the Seattle Symphony and the Seattle Men's Chorus also have holiday-themed performances on their schedule during December each year.
Seattle/Tacoma's Annual Holiday Season Performances
- The Pacific Northwest Ballet's The Nutcracker is a quintessential part of the holidays that has long been a Seattle holiday tradition. Performed in the Balanchine style, this ethereal ballet is accompanied by Tchaikovsky's score, in the sometimes playful, and always spectacular style that guests have come to expect, With over 30 performances every year; you have plenty of chances to see this ballet with the whole family and celebrate the season together.
- The Magical Strings Celtic Yuletide ensemble includes three generations of the Boulding family playing Celtic harps, hammered dulcimers, whistles, concertina, strings, and more. The concerts also feature Celtic dancers, a traditional tale, and a rousing and joyful medieval processional. The evening doesn't end when the performance is over, as there is a Christmas carol singalong experience offered after the show.
- See Charles Dickens holiday classic, The Christmas Carol at the A Contemporary Theatre (ACT). This story that tells the tale of Ebenezer Scrooge's transformation from surly employer to a warm-hearted friend has been part of the ACT Theatre's play schedule for decades. Each kid-friendly performance includes creative illusions and special effects to keep their attention during the performance.
- Regarded as one of the best children's choirs in the nation, the Northwest Boychoir features dozens of incredibly talented young singers between the ages of 10 and 14. Their annual A Festival of Lessons & Carols concerts are packed with traditional Christmas carols that a crowd favorite.
- The Puget Sound Revels presents The Christmas Revels is held each year at a different venue in Tacoma. The Christmas Revels is a colorful and festive display of seasonal folk music, dance, and stories. These shows include performers of all ages and audience participation is encouraged, and also part of the fun.
- The Tacoma City Ballet's The Nutcracker and the Tale of the Hard Nut provides a unique twist on the popular Christmas-time ballet. The show is performed by students of the Tacoma City Ballet School and is accompanied by the Tacoma City Ballet Orchestra. Many people, including those who have seen The Nutcracker numerous times, may not be familiar with the lesser-known The Tale of The Hard Nut, which was originally performed alongside The Nutcracker in the original performance of the ballet in 1892 in St. Petersburg, Russia. This addition to the more popular scaled down performance provides audience members with more dancing, music, grander scenery, and even more lavish costumes to see.