01 of 03
San Francisco in October
San Francisco's Best October Events: Recommendations
These are a few ideas - things that I have done and have recommended to my friends.
Fleet Week: The air shows (which often feature the Blue Angels) are awesome, but there's more - including tours of visiting ships and a boat parade.
Things That Look Like Fun to Do in October
It's a good thing I can make lists because I find so many fun things to do that I'd forget them all. These are a few things on my "That Looks Interesting" list:
Italian Heritage (Columbus Day) Parade: This event is almost as old as the city itself. The parade runs along Columbus, ending at Washington Square.
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass: This free music event in Golden Gate Park features performers like Elvis Costello, Boz Scaggs, and Emmy Lou Harris.
Sand Castle Classic: At Ocean Beach, teams of sand sculptors build massive castles, fanciful masterpieces, and oversized creatures, using only sand and water.
Things That Are Especially Fun in October
The Castro Halloween street party ended several years ago, but down in Half Moon Bay, there's big Pumpkin Festival.
October is blue whale and humpback whale season around San Francisco. Find out how, when and where in the San Francisco Whale Watching Guide.
October weather is also very nice in general, making it a good time to take a day trip drive up to Napa Valley or down to Monterey.
Special Events in October
The annual events listed above happen every year, but they're not all that's going on in San Francisco in November. If you're looking for a fun concert, sporting event or theatrical performance try these resources:
Continue to 2 of 3 below.
- All you have to do is sign up for a free account with Goldstar to get access to discounted tickets for performances and save on some San Francisco attractions. Even better, it's just as useful when you're at home as it is when you're visiting San Francisco.
- For a look at local events, check the San Francisco Chronicle's entertainment section.
- The Major League Baseball season runs from March through early October, and San Francisco has one of the prettiest stadiums around. If the San Francisco Giants are playing at home, watching a game is a fun way to spend a few hours. We like to go to afternoon games because it's warmer than night games.
- The Oakland A's play baseball across the Bay.
- The San Francisco 49ers might be playing at home while you're there, but Levi Stadium is miles south in Santa Clara. Check the schedule at their website. The Oakland Raiders are closer, just across the Bay. So is Golden State Warriors basketball.
02 of 03
More About San Francisco in October
What to Expect from San Francisco Weather in October
October stays warm and days are often clear, but it's slightly more likely to rain (in general).
In October, you can expect about 11 hours of daylight for exploring the city.
- Average High Temperature: 70°F/21°C
- Average Low Temperature: 54°F/12°C
- Rain & Clouds Index: 1.26 inches (3.2 cm) rain, 71% sunshine
If you want to compare October weather to other months, check the Guide to San Francisco Weather and Climate.
Use the weather averages to get an idea of what things may be like, but it might be different when you visit. A winter day could even be so warm you'll wish you packed your shorts.
Averages are helpful for planning ahead, but don't count on your trip being "average." Check the San Francisco weather forecast before you leave home.Continue to 3 of 3 below.
03 of 03
What to Pack, What to Wear in October
With less fog and only a small chance of rain, light layers will usually be plenty. An extra jacket or layer will feel nice in the evening. Rainfall starts to become more likely, and it's always best to check the forecast.
More San Francisco by Month
If you're just starting to plan your trip and deciding when to go, you may want to know what San Francisco is like in other months. You find that in these guides:
By fall, the skies will be clear and the crowds will be gone. In fact, the best times to visit may be San Francisco in September or San Francisco in October.