01 of 03
San Francisco in April
San Francisco's Best April Events: Recommendations
These are a few ideas - things that I have done and have recommended to my friends.
San Francisco Flower and Garden Show: Even if you never plant a garden yourself, this show may be worth a visit, just to see all the great displays.
Things That Look Like Fun to Do in April
It's a good thing I can make lists because I find so many fun things to do that I'd forget them all. These are a few things on my "That Looks Interesting" list:
San Francisco International Film Festival: This film fest features films you might never see anywhere else.
Cherry Blossom Festival: Held in Japantown, it celebrates Japanese culture.
Opening Day on the Bay: Opening Day like a big parade, but on the water instead of land, with yachts of all sizes decorated for the event.
Macy's Spring Flower Show: The largest department store in San Francisco fills its main floor with spectacular flowers every year in April.
Artist Open Studios: At the Hunters... Point Shipyard, local artists open their studios to visitors. More than 150 artists participate, and you'll get a chance to talk to them about their work.
Things That Are Especially Fun in April
April is gray whale season around San Francisco. Find out how, when and where to see them in the San Francisco Whale Watching Guide.
Special Events in April
The annual events listed above happen every year, but they're not all that's going on in San Francisco in November. If you're looking for a fun concert, sporting event or theatrical performance try these resources:
Continue to 2 of 3 below.
- All you have to do is sign up for a free account with Goldstar to get access to discounted tickets for performances and save on some San Francisco attractions. Even better, it's just as useful when you're at home as it is when you're visiting San Francisco.
- For a look at local events, check the San Francisco Chronicle's entertainment section.
- The Major League Baseball season runs from March through early October, and San Francisco has one of the prettiest stadiums around. If the San Francisco Giants are playing at home, watching a game is a fun way to spend a few hours. We like to go to afternoon games because it's warmer than night games.
- The Oakland A's play baseball across the Bay.
02 of 03
More About San Francisco in April
What to Expect from San Francisco Weather in April
In most years, winter rains end by April. In an "El Nino" year, ocean currents bring California more rain than usual. When that happens, you could get wet until the middle of the month or later.
Nevertheless, April is San Francisco's sunniest month (on average). And you can enjoy that sunshine for 12 to 13 hours of daylight.
- Average High Temperature: 63°F / 17°C
- Average Low Temperature: 49°F / 9°C
- Rain & Clouds Index: 1.29 inches (3.3 cm) rain, 74% sunshine
If you want to compare April weather to other months, check the Guide to San Francisco Weather and Climate.
Use the weather averages to get an idea of what things may be like, but it might be different when you visit. A winter day could even be so warm you'll wish you packed your shorts.
Averages are helpful for planning ahead, but don't count on your trip being "average." Check the San Francisco weather forecast before you leave home.Continue to 3 of 3 below.
03 of 03
What to Pack, What to Wear in April
April is often warm enough at mid-day that you can get by with a couple of layers, but you'll need a bit more for evenings. It might seem a little early in the year for this, but April often has the sunniest days. Hats and sunscreen may be welcome.
San Francisco is a casual city. You can wear jeans or casual clothing almost everywhere you go. Bring a jacket for cooler nights, but you probably won't need your earmuffs and wool mittens - although you may see some cold-blooded locals bundled up like it was mid-winter.
More San Francisco by Month
If you're just starting to plan your trip and deciding when to go, you may want to know what San Francisco is like in other months. You find that in these guides: