The Salvation Army will hosting their annual Thanksgiving Dinner for thousand of local residents. Some will attend, and others, who are homebound will have meals delivered throughout the Valley of the Sun. These are plated meals served on real plates, with real silverware on tables with decorations and cloth napkins and tablecloths. Several grocery stores partner with the Salvation Army to provide the food. The event has grown so large that the Phoenix Convention Center is one of the only local venues that can handle it.
In addition to the holiday meal, there will be entertainment as well as games and free haircuts for children.
Salvation Army Thanksgiving Dinner
- When: Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 11 a.m. Service ends at 12:45 p.m.
- Where: Phoenix Convention Center in Downtown Phoenix located at 100 N. Third Street in the South Building. Here is a map with the address, directions and instructions for getting there by Valley Metro Rail. Dinner will be served in the South Building.
- Who: Everyone, all ages. No restrictions, no reservations. Whether you are simply spending Thanksgiving alone this year, or you would like to bring your family, you are invited.
- How much: Nothing. Dinner and all activities/gifts are free, compliments of the Salvation Army and their partners/sponsors.
- Parking: Be aware that parking meters are NOT free on Thanksgiving Day in Downtown Phoenix. The Phoenix Convention Center East Garage is available for free parking for this event only. The East Garage has entrances on Jefferson and Washington between 5th and 7th Streets and it is located just east of the South Building where the dinner will be served.
- Notice! On Thanksgiving Day there is also a big auto show at the Convention Center in the North and West buildings. I strongly recommend that you use METRO Light Rail to get to the dinner. If you haven't tried it, here is a light rail photo tutorial.
- Those meals that are being delivered will be dispatched from the Phoenix Convention Center between 9 a.m. and noon. Homebound meal recipients are identified and registered by partner agencies and are not accepted on an individual sign up basis.
Volunteer to Help on Thanksgiving
It takes thousands of volunteers to make this happen! Believe it or not, people start signing up in September to help, and serving positions are usually all filled early. Cleanup and other behind-the-scenes activities are also critical to the dinner's success. You can sign up for available volunteer opportunities on this page. Children ages 10 and up may also participate as a volunteer, and, of course, helping to deliver meals to people who can't leave their homes is a great family activity where all ages can participate and contribute to others in the community.
Walk-in volunteers are not accepted. You must have registered in advance. If you missed this opportunity, check to see if any Christmas event volunteer openings are available.
Have Additional Questions?
Visit the Phoenix Salvation Army website.
What Is There To Do After the Thanksgiving Dinner?
After you have helped others in our community to be thankful on this day, you might want to do something else that doesn't involve shopping or cooking! Check out these attractions and activities that are open on Thanksgiving Day.