Although temperatures drop over the course of the month and snowfall could come to the region north of the city as early as Thanksgiving, November is one of the most active times of the year in Salt Lake City. From attending games of Utah's professional sports teams to celebrating the holidays with parades and parties, there's plenty to do and see in SLC this month.
Fortunately, November is considered a shoulder season for Salt Lake City since winter sports enthusiasts haven't yet descended on the mountain town to hit the slopes. This means that hotel prices will begin to go down from the high prices of summers, so you should be able to get an affordable room for your trip, and you're likely to get good prices on airline tickets during the first part of the month as well—just don't expect any discounts on holiday flights.
Salt Lake City Weather in November
Even though Salt Lake City experiences relatively mild winters, daily average high and low temperatures drop sharply over the course of November. Whereas highs range between 48 and 59 F for the first half of the month, they drop down between 36 and 50 F as December and winter approach. Likewise, average lows range between 26 and 41 F in the first half of the month but drop down between 16 and 35 F for the second half.
With colder weather also comes wetter weather. Although the city only receives an average of 1.5 inches of rain over the month, which is less than in October, you can still expect to see anywhere between six and 10 days of rain in November. You may also need to start watching for ice on the roads in the mornings beginning around November 15 as overnight temperatures start to drop below freezing.
What to Pack
If you plan on spending most of your time in Salt Lake City itself, you won't need much more than a few layers of clothes—perhaps including a winter coat for nighttime adventures. However, the mountainous regions to the north of the city get much colder and snower sooner than the city itself, so if you plan on doing any hiking or outdoor exploring, you may need to bring thermal undergarments, hiking boots, and gloves. Pack an umbrella and raincoat in case of a sudden storm even though you won't likely get soaked if you're caught in an SLC rain shower.
November Travel Tips
- November and December are the cheapest months to travel to Salt Lake City, but prices for flights and accommodations over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays make for some of the most expensive rooms and airline tickets of the year.
- Avoid traveling during the Thanksgiving holiday and book your flight and hotel at least a month in advance to ensure availability.
- Check the weather before driving a car in Utah this time of year for any ice advisories on the roadways, and get ready for a cold seat when you first get in your vehicle.
- Temperatures are known to drastically fluctuate throughout the month, so one day you might experience sunny skies and 60 F weather, but the next might be raining with a high of 40 F. Pack a variety of clothing to accommodate for these shifts in weather.
- While winter sports tourists haven't yet started to arrive in SLC for the season, snow will likely start falling in northern Utah in the last two weeks of November; the mountains overlooking the city are often snowcapped by the end of the month.
01 of 28
The Jazz have a full NBA schedule in November, with lots of new names on the roster:
Games are televised regionally on ROOT SPORTS (excluding some nationally televised games). ROOT SPORTS channels vary by provider - Comcast: SD - 52, HD - 693 DirecTV: SD - 684, HD - 684.1 DISH: channel varies, usually between 440-450 and 470-480 RADIO: 1280 AM KZNS/97.5 FM.
02 of 28
RSL faces the LA Galaxy in the Western Conference semi-final round of the MLS Cup Playoffs:
- Saturday, Nov. 1, time TBA vs. LA Galaxy (MLS Western Conference Semifinal)
- Sunday, Nov. 9, time TBA @ LA Galaxy (MLS Western Conference Semifinal)
Rio Tinto Stadium
9256 S. State St. in Sandy
03 of 28
Body Worlds & The Cycle of Life is the latest exhibition from physician and anatomist Dr. Gunther von Hagens. As we age, we experience the body in different ways. This exhibit celebrates the wonders of the body in childhood, adulthood and across the arc of aging. More than 200 plastinates—real human specimens preserved through Dr. von Hagens’ invention, the process of Plastination—reveal the human body in all its stages and in all its conditions, from health to distress to disease.
209 E. 500 S.
Exhibit opens Sept. 27, 2014
04 of 28
The Depot, a live music venue in the historic Union Pacific building at The Gateway, hosts ten shows this month:
- The Smokers Club Tour starring Method Man & Redman - Saturday, Nov. 1
- The Airborne Toxic Event - Monday, Nov. 3
- Greensky Bluegrass - Wednesday, Nov. 5
- RJD2 - Saturday, Nov. 8
- Deltron 3030 - Monday, Nov. 10
- Citizen Cope with full band - Friday, Nov. 14
- Friends of the Bob & Tom Show Comedy Tour - Saturday, Nov. 15
- Alex Clare - Saturday, Nov. 22
- A Night With Chrissie Hynde - Monday, Nov. 24
- Royal Bliss - Wednesday, Nov. 26
400 W. South Temple
Tickets $15-$40Continue to 5 of 28 below.
05 of 28
Here's the November lineup for The State Room, one of SLC's favorite small music venues.
- The Rural Alberta Advantage - Saturday, Nov. 1
- The Oh Hellos - Monday, Nov. 3
- Freeman of Ween - Wednesday, Nov. 5
- I Wayne - Thursday, Nov. 6
- Poor Man's Whiskey - Friday, Nov. 7
- Brandon Santini & Tony Holiday - Saturday, Nov. 8
- JD McPherson - Monday, Nov. 10
- Alejandro Escovedo & Peter Buck - Tuesday, Nov. 11
- Heal Utah's Eighth Annual Fall Party - Thursday, Nov. 13
- An Evening with Mokie - Friday, Nov. 14
- David Bazan & Passenger String Quartet - Monday, Nov. 17
- Todd Rundgren - Wednesday, Nov. 19
- Southern Soul Assembly Fall Tour - Thursday, Nov. 20
- Shook Twins - Friday, Nov. 21
- Orgone - Saturday, Nov. 22
- Sturgill Simpson - Friday, Nov. 28
06 of 28
Movie lovers can find a huge variety of free film screenings in Salt Lake City, including major Hollywood productions, experimental films, classics, kids' movies, documentaries and more. This month's highlights include The Dhamma Brothers Nov. 1 at the Salt Lake City Public Library and Ernest and Celestine Nov. 26 at the Sorenson Unity Center.
07 of 28
The Utah Symphony has five great programs for November:
- Cirque de la Symphonie - Friday and Saturday, Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 8 p.m.
Bartók’s Concerto for Orchestra - Friday and Saturday, Nov. 7-8, 8 p.m.
Mahler’s Symphony No. 2 - Friday and Saturday, Nov. 14-15, 8 p.m.
Dvořák’s Symphony No. 7 - Friday and Saturday, Nov. 21-22, 8 p.m.
Messiah Sing-In - Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 29-30, 7 p.m.
123 W. South Temple
08 of 28
The University of Utah Utes finish out the Pac-12 season in November. Click on the link above for the Utes' full 2014 schedule, plus TV info and links to pregame and postgame press coverage.
Continue to 9 of 28 below.
- Saturday, Nov. 1: Utah Utes @ Arizona State Sun Devils
- Saturday, Nov. 8: Utah Utes vs. Oregon Ducks
- Saturday, Nov. 15: Utah Utes @ Stanford Cardinals
- Saturday, Nov. 22: Utah Utes vs. Arizona Wildcats
- Saturday, Nov. 29: Utah Utes @ Colorado Buffaloes
09 of 28
Wiseguys comedy clubs at Trolley Square, West Valley City and Ogden bring live comedy to Utah audiences including national touring acts, local favorites, open mic nights, clean comedy nights and more. Shows Tuesday through Saturday. This month's special events include Dave Coulier, Andy Gold, Marcus, Steve Soelberg, Keith Stubbs, and Brooks Wheelan.
Wiseguys Trolley Square
505 S. 600 E.
Wiseguys West Valley
2194 W. 3500 S.
269 Historic 25th Street in Ogden
10 of 28
Kingsbury Hall November Performances
Music, dance, and theater performances this month at Kingsbury Hall:
- University of Utah Youth Theatre presents 'The Big Bad Musical'. Nov. 7-8, matinee and evening shows. Tickets $5-$10.
- Eastern Arts presents 'WorlDance Featuring Latif Bolat and Amir Mohammadi'. Nov. 12, 7 p.m. Tickets $5-$10.
- Gaelic Storm. Nov. 13, 7:30 p.m. Tickets $10-$37.50.
1395 E. Presidents Circle at the University of Utah
11 of 28
12 of 28
The Grizzlies have five home games in November:
- Utah Grizzlies vs. Colorado Eagles - Saturday, Nov. 1 and Tuesday, Nov. 11, 7:05 p.m.
- Utah Grizzlies vs. Ontario Reign - Friday, Saturday, and Monday, Nov. 14, 15, & 17, 7:05 p.m.
3200 South Decker Lake Drive (2200 W.)
Tickets $12-$35; see website for promotionsContinue to 13 of 28 below.
13 of 28
14 of 28
The Black Keys - Turn Blue World Tour
The Black Keys will make a stop on their North American tour at the Maverick Center in November. The tour supports the duo’s new album, Turn Blue. Turn Blue comprises 11 new tracks, including the popular single, “Fever.”
Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2014, 8 p.m.
3200 South Decker Lake Drive (at 2200 West)
15 of 28
This holiday season Desert Star presents 'How the Grouch Stole Christmas', a parody of the Christmas classic. Desert Star is a dinner theater with pizza, hamburgers, wraps, desserts and more served at tableside seating. Appropriate for all ages.
Nov. 13, 2014-Jan. 3, 2015, except Tuesdays and Sundays
4861 S. State St.
December price $20.95
16 of 28
After graduate school, Catherine and Gwen chose polar opposite paths. Catherine built a career as a rock star academic, while Gwen built a home with her husband and children. This sharp-witted comedy takes an unflinching look at gender politics and asks, 'Can any woman have it all?'
Oct. 22-Nov. 16, 2014
168 W. 500 N.
This production is for mature audiences only.Continue to 17 of 28 below.
17 of 28
18 of 28
Brigham Young University FootballThe BYU Cougars finish out their fourth independent season in November. Click on the link above for the Cougars' full 2014 schedule, plus TV info.
- Saturday, Nov. 1: BYU Cougars vs. Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders
- Saturday, Nov. 22: BYU Cougars vs. UNLV Rebels
- Saturday, Nov. 29: BYU Cougars @ California Golden Bears
19 of 28
Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls Tour 2014
There are few heavy metal bands that have managed to scale the heights that Judas Priest have during their nearly 40 year career. They will bring their 'Redeemer of Souls Tour' to the Maverick Center in November.
Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2014, 7:30 p.m.
3200 South Decker Lake Drive (at 2200 West)
20 of 28
This high-flying musical sings the true story of Frank Abagnale, Jr. Leonardo DiCaprio made Frank's story famous in the 2002 movie of the same name. You've got to 'catch' this one!
Oct. 8-Nov. 29, 2014
Mondays through Saturdays, 7:30 p.m.
Matinees Saturdays 12:30 and 4 p.m.
No performances on October 31 and November 27
Ticket prices: adult $30-$33, child (5-11 years) $16
3333 South Decker Lake Drive, West Valley City
801-984-9000Continue to 21 of 28 below.
21 of 28
Trans-Siberian Orchestra will bring their rock opera, 'The Christmas Attic', back to Salt Lake Wednesday, November 19. The album’s narrative begins on Christmas Eve, when a young girl's curiosity leads her to a night of mischief and magic.
Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2014, 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
301 West South Temple
22 of 28
The Apolo Ohno Invitational will be a first-of-its-kind short track speedskating event that will feature the sport’s top athletes in the world competing for prize money in both men’s and women’s 500m, 1000m, and team relays across 14 races, all hosted by the most decorated winter Olympian in American history, Apolo Ohno.
Friday, Nov. 21, 2014, 7 p.m.
301 West South Temple
23 of 28
Eat Like a Pilgrim at Thanksgving Point
Thanksgiving Point’s Show Barn is transformed to immerse guests in the culture of the very first Thanksgiving, complete with the sights, sounds, and foods of the 17th century.
Nov. 21, 22, and 24, 6:30 p.m. (doors open at 6 p.m.)
Adults: $28 in advance, $35 day of event
Children: $22 in advance, $28 day of event
3003 N. Thanksgiving Way in Lehi
24 of 28
25 of 28
26 of 28
27 of 28
28 of 28