Not all Salt Lake City December events are related to the holidays - sports, arts, and outdoor recreation events continue throughout the month. Here's a list of non-holiday events to try, especially if you need a break from shopping, eating cookies and singing Christmas carols.
Note: While we do our best to verify details for all listed events, it's best to call the venue or visit the website to get the most up-to-date details before attending any event.Click here for a list of Salt Lake City Holiday Events
01 of 16
02 of 16
Body Worlds & The Cycle of Life is the latest exhibition from physician and anatomist Dr. Gunther von Hagens. This exhibit celebrates the wonders of the body in childhood, adulthood and across the arc of aging. More than 200 plastinates—real human specimens preserved through Dr. von Hagens’ invention, the process of Plastination—reveal the human body in all its stages and in all its conditions, from health to distress to disease.
209 E. 500 S.
Exhibit opens Sept. 27, 2014
03 of 16
The Jazz have a full NBA schedule in December, with lots of new names on the roster:
Games are televised regionally on ROOT SPORTS (excluding some nationally televised games). ROOT SPORTS channels vary by provider - Comcast: SD - 52, HD - 693 DirecTV: SD - 684, HD - 684.1 DISH: channel varies, usually between 440-450 and 470-480 RADIO: 1280 AM KZNS/97.5 FM.
- Monday, Dec. 1 - Utah Jazz vs. Denver, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 3 - Utah Jazz vs. Toronto, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 5 - Utah Jazz vs. Orlando, 7 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 8 - Utah Jazz @ Sacramento, 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 9 - Utah Jazz vs. San Antonio, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 12 - Utah Jazz vs. Miami, 7 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 14 - Utah Jazz @ Washington, 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 16 - Utah Jazz @ New Orleans, 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 17 - Utah Jazz @ Miami, 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 19 - Utah Jazz @ Orlando, 5 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 20 - Utah Jazz @ Charlotte, 5 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 22 - Utah Jazz @ Memphis, 6 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 27 - Utah Jazz vs.... Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 29 - Utah Jazz @ L.A. Clippers, 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 30 - Utah Jazz vs. Minnesota, 7 p.m.
301 W. South Temple
04 of 16
Movie lovers can find a huge variety of free film screenings in Salt Lake City, including major Hollywood productions, experimental films, classics, kids' movies, documentaries and more. This month's highlights include Fire in the Blood Dec. 1 at Brewvies, and MAKER: A Documentary on the Maker Movement Dec. 16 at the Salt Lake City Library.Continue to 5 of 16 below.
05 of 16
The Utah Grizzlies have five home games this month:
- Monday, Dec. 1 vs. Idaho Steelheads
- Wednesday, Dec. 10 vs. Alaska Aces
- Wednesday, Dec. 17 vs. Colorado Eagles
- Saturday, Dec. 27 vs. Colorado Eagles
- Monday, Dec. 29 vs. Colorado Eagles
All games at 7:05 p.m.
3200 Decker Lake Dr. (2200 W.)
Tickets $12-$35; see website for promotions
06 of 16
07 of 16
University of Utah Men's Basketball
The Runnin' Utes have six games in December:
- Wednesday, Dec. 3, 9 p.m. vs. Wichita State
- Wednesday, Dec. 10, 7 p.m. @ BYU
- Saturday, Dec. 13, 1:15 p.m. @ Kansas
- Saturday, Dec. 20, 9:30 p.m. @ UNLV
- Tuesday, Dec. 23, 7 p.m. vs. South Dakota State
- Tuesday, Dec. 30, 7:30 p.m. vs. Carroll
Tickets $3-$35; check website or call for package deals and specials.
John M. Huntsman Center
451 S. 1400 E.
08 of 16
SLAC's sixth annual professional play for children is A Year With Frog and Toad, based on the ever-popular books by Arnold Lobel. Two best friends celebrate and rejoice in their differences that make them unique and special.
Dec. 5-27, 2014
See website for dates and times
Salt Lake Acting Company
168 W. 500 N.
Adults $25, kids $15Continue to 9 of 16 below.
09 of 16
Rocky Mountain motorsports fans will see the world's best ice racers competing on the Maverik Center's treacherous oval ice track. Two thrilling nights of gloves off, no holds barred, winner take all ice racing to crown the World Champions in ICE's Manufacturers World Cup Motorcycle Division and the wild Unlimited Outlaw Quads.
Friday and Saturday, Dec. 5-6, 7 p.m.
3200 Decker Lake Dr. (2200 W.)
10 of 16
Wiseguys comedy clubs at Trolley Square, West Valley City and Ogden bring live comedy to Utah audiences including national touring acts, local favorites, open mic nights, clean comedy nights and more. Shows Tuesday through Saturday. This month's special events include Joe Machi, Tom Clark, Jay Reid, Owen Benjamin, Bil Dwyer, Ryan Hamilton, Brian Moote, Dwayne Perkins, Todd Johnson, and Chris Franjola.
Wiseguys Trolley Square
505 S. 600 E.
Wiseguys West Valley
2194 W. 3500 S.
269 Historic 25th Street in Ogden
11 of 16
12 of 16
Downtown Salt Lake Winter Market
For those of us who like to eat local, it's a little sad when Salt Lake area farmers markets and produce stands shut down at the end of October. For the past couple of years, the SLC Downtown Alliance has been filling the gap with the Downtown SLC Winter Market, which has found a permanent home in the Rio Grande Depot. The market is held every other Saturday during the winter months, November through April.
Here's the December schedule for the Downtown Salt Lake City Winter Market:
- Saturday, Dec. 6, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (includes a holiday craft market)
- Saturday, Dec. 20, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (includes a holiday craft market)
Rio Grande Depot
300 S. Rio Grande Street
Salt Lake City,UT 84101Continue to 13 of 16 below.
13 of 16
14 of 16
The State Room
Here's the December lineup for The State Room, one of SLC's favorite small music venues.
- Horse Feathers - Thursday, Dec. 11
- Lucas Nelson & P.O.T.R. - Friday, Dec. 12
- Guy Davis - Saturday, Dec. 13
- UT Blues Society Member Appreciation Party - Friday, Dec. 19
- Elephant Revival - Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 30-31
15 of 16
So You Think You Can Dance, the Emmy® Award-winning show is live on tour again this fall. Celebrating its 11th season, the show's top 10 finalists will make their way across North America, and stop in Utah in December.
Friday, Dec. 19, 8 p.m.
3200 Decker Lake Dr. (2200 W.)
16 of 16
Winter Solstice has long been celebrated all over the world because it heralds the gradual return of the light after the shortest and darkest day of the year. Bring your kids to the Red Butte Garden and create head wreaths, winter candles, and more. Sip hot chocolate and make a new-year wish at the Yule Log.
Saturday, December 20, 2014, 10 a.m.- 1 p.m.
300 Wakara Way
Enjoy half-price Garden admission December, January & February.