Washington, D.C., and major communities in the suburbs of Maryland and Northern Virginia celebrate Saint Patrick's Day with a variety of parades and festivities for all ages. Mark your calendar for the 2020 events and enjoy some fun days honoring the foremost patron saint of Ireland. There are many other activities around the capital region, from sipping on an Irish beer in a pub to watching some live music, so you can revel throughout most of March—just don't forget to wear the color green.
- Alexandria Saint Patrick's Day Parade: Held on March 7, 2020, the Fun Dog Show full of costumed pups kicks off the event at 10:30 a.m., benefiting the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria in Virginia. The parade full of family fun goes from 12:30 to 2 p.m. and includes pipe bands, Irish dance schools, the Notre Dame Alumni Band, dog rescue groups, and other local celebrities participating with area scouts, the Marines, and high school bands.
- Annapolis Saint Patrick's Day Parade: Step out at 1 p.m. on March 8, 2020, when St. Patrick's Day is celebrated with the eighth annual parade in historic Annapolis, the capital of Maryland. The event features numerous floats with participation by many local organizations. This year, the beneficiary charity for the event is the Warrior Events and Annapolis Police Foundation.
- Gaithersburg St. Patrick's Day Parade: The City of Gaithersburg, Maryland, in partnership with The Peterson Companies & Rio, will host the 20th annual St. Patrick's Day Parade on March 14, 2020, at 10 a.m. at the Rio Washingtonian Center on Rio Boulevard and Grand Corner Avenue. There will be a live musical performance by The Breakaways from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Boardwalk. The entertainment includes state and local officials, Irish dancers, pipe bands, community members, free family activities and giveaways, and more.
- Manassas Saint Patrick's Day Parade: On March 14, 2020, the City of Manassas, Virginia, will host a Saint Patrick's Day Parade in Old Town from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. with pipe bands including the Alexandria Pipe and Drums, Irish dance groups, members of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, and other area groups, schools, and organizations. Spectators can view the parade along Center Street in Old Town.
- Washington, D.C. Saint Patrick's Day Parade: The 50th anniversary of the event known as the Nation's St. Patrick's Day Parade will take place from noon to 3 p.m. on March 15, 2020, along Constitution Avenue from 7th to 17th Streets NW in Washington, D.C. Expect marching groups, floats, pipe bands, military, police and fire departments, dancing, and more than 100 community groups.
- St. Patrick’s Day Dining and Pub Crawling: The Washington, D.C., area has a wide variety of restaurants and venues that celebrate the Irish holiday with green beer and live music in March 2020. It is a great time to revel at the local Irish pubs and eateries that are all within walking distance of each other.