Washington, D.C. and major communities in the suburbs of Maryland and Northern Virginia celebrate Saint Patrick's Day with a variety of parades and festivities for all ages. Mark your calendar for this year's events and enjoy a day of Irish fun honoring the foremost patron saint of Ireland. There are many activities around the capital region, so you can revel throughout most of March—just don't forget when attending to wear the color green.
- Alexandria Saint Patrick's Day Parade - March 2, 2019. This family fun celebration includes four pipe bands, numerous Irish dance schools, the Notre Dame Alumni Band, and other local celebrities will participate along with local scouts, marines, and high school bands.
- Annapolis Saint Patrick's Day Parade - March 10, 2019. Annapolis celebrates St. Patrick's Day with a parade in Historic Annapolis featuring more than 90 floats with participation by many local organizations. The city celebrates Irish Week with ten days of events including music, an Irish Coffee competition, and more. This year the beneficiary for the event is the Veteran's non-profit charity, Warrior Events.
- Gaithersburg Saint Patrick's Day Parade - March 16, 2019. The City of Gaithersburg, in partnership with the Harp and Shamrock Society, will host a Saint Patrick's Day Parade at Rio Washingtonian Center in Gaithersburg, MD. The Parade includes state and local officials, Gaithersburg Police, Irish dancers, pipe bands, fire trucks, equestrian units, and much more. After the end of the parade at noon, there is live entertainment on the lakefront plaza until 2 p.m.
- Manassas Saint Patrick's Day Parade - March 9, 2019. The City of Manassas will host a Saint Patrick's Day Parade in Old Town with pipe bands including the Alexandria Pipe and Drums, Irish dance groups, members of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, and other area groups and organizations.
More Saint Patrick's Day Events
- National Shamrock Fest - March 23, 2019. The largest Saint Patrick's Day party in the region features Irish food, drinks, craft vendors, an Irish Village, carnival rides and games, and more than 30 bands and DJs on five stages.
- St. Patrick’s Day Dining and Pub Crawling - March 16 and 17, 2019. The Washington, D.C. area has a wide variety of restaurants that celebrate the Irish holiday with green beer and live music. It is a great time to revel at the local Irish pubs and restaurants that are all within walking distance of each other.
- Washington, DC Saint Patrick's Day Parade - The event, known as the Nation's St. Patrick's Day Parade, is canceled for 2019. Per the organizers, "The greatest overhead in producing an event of this magnitude is the government-related expense of security and street closures. The government of the District of Columbia has significantly increased preventative security requirements for public gatherings such as the St. Patrick’s Parade. The corresponding rapid increase in overhead, in combination with relatively stagnant funding, have put the Committee in a precarious financial position." The goal for the organizers is for the parade to return in 2020 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the DC event.