Sailing Ship Columbia is a ride, but it has to be among the tamest rides in all of Disneyland. It takes guests on a trip along Rivers America and around Tom Sawyer's Island. That's the same route that the Mark Twain Riverboat and Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes take and I'd suggest choosing only one of these three attractions. You don't need to see that same scenery three times.
You can also explore the ship as you sail. It has ten cannons and two deck-mounted swivel guns—necessary to repel the attacks of ruthless pirates. There's also a maritime museum below decks that includes a look at how the ship's crew would have lived. The museum is one of the things that makes the Columbia a little different than its sister attraction the Mark Twain Riverboat.
We polled 107 of our readers to find out what they think about the sailing ship. 76% of them said It's a must-do or ride it if you have time, making it one of the lower-rated things to do at Disneyland.
- Location: Columbia Sailing Ship is technically in Frontierland, but it seems more accurate to say that it sails the Rivers of America from a dock near New Orleans Square.
- Rating: ★
- Restrictions: No height restrictions. Children under age seven years must be accompanied by a person age 14 years or older.
- Ride Time: 12 minutes
- Recommended for: Everyone, although fast-paced kids may find it a little slow
- Fun Factor: Low
- Wait Factor: Low
- Fear Factor: Low
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low
- Nausea Factor: Low
- Seating: You just get on and ride, and you can move around while it's going
- Accessibility: You have to negotiate stairs to get on and off this historically authentic ship. More about visiting Disneyland in a wheelchair or ECV
How to Have More Fun on Sailing Ship Columbia
- If you get a chance to ride, go below and check out the nautical museum
- During your voyage, the ship's cannons fire twice and can startle even the bravest pirate aboard, if not expecting it.
- The ship doesn't sail every day. In fact, days when it's out are rare, and even then, it starts late and closes at dusk.
- Columbia is fine for kids, although they might find it a little boring. Find more rides for your children.
More About Disneyland Rides
You can see all the Disneyland rides at a glance on the Disneyland Ride Sheet. If you want to browse through them starting with the best-rated, start with the Haunted Mansion and follow the navigation.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download Our Recommended Disneyland Apps (they're all free!) and Get Some Proven Tips to Minimize Your Disneyland Wait Time.
Fun Facts About Sailing Ship Columbia
The ship is 84 feet tall and 110 feet long. It serves as Captain Hook's pirate ship during the Fantasmic! show.
Columbia Sailing Ship is a full-scale replica of the first American ship to sail around the world. When it was created in 1958, it was the first three-masted windjammer built in the U. S. for more than 100 years.
Take a close look at the American flag on the stern. It's the same flag design that the original ship would have flown in 1787.
Disneyland is the only Disney theme park where you'll find the Sailing Ship Columbia.