Want to plan a romantic date or celebration in Maine? Here's your guide to some of the best things a twosome can do together in Portland, in the mountains and along the southern Maine coast.
1. White Barn Inn Restaurant--Maine has a surprising number of unforgettable restaurants. One of the finest is the White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport. Spend a romantic night at the inn or enjoy an elegant dinner in the restaurant, which was described in Boston Magazine as being "achingly romantic."
2. Grey Havens Inn--Maine has many romantic inns tucked away along the coast, in the mountains or in quaint villages. One of the most romantic, and a favorite Maine wedding site, is the turreted Grey Havens Inn in Georgetown, an island accessible by a bridge near Bath. The view of spruce-covered islands and open bay from the wide wraparound porch and some of the rooms is unsurpassed.
3. Popham Beach--Three miles of fine sandy beach, soft lapping waves or crashing surf, island lighthouses just offshore and a historic fort on the banks of the Kennebec River all create an aura of romance at Popham Beach at the end of the Phippsburg peninsula near Bath. Popular for swimming in warmer weather, the beach is also a great place for a winter walk.
4. Marginal Way--Marginal Way, a one-mile-long footpath that meanders along the rocky shore of Ogunquit, Maine, offers the romance of crashing surf and scenic views of the white sands of Ogunquit Beach.
The wind can be brisk in cooler weather, so bundle up!
5. Portland Head Light--What is it about lighthouses that draw people? Portland Head Light is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the U.S. and is a favorite spot for lovers. Walk the grounds and watch the roaring surf at high tide. Click here for More Romantic Maine Lighthouses.
6. Eastern Prom--Walk hand-in-hand along the footpath at the Eastern Prom, with views of Fort Gorges and the islands of Casco Bay. Stop to sit on the rocks and watch the boats come and go in Portland Harbor.
7. Old Port--The Old Port is a delightful place for couples to explore. The cobbled streets, restored Victorian buildings, boutiques, art galleries and brewpubs along Portland's waterfront create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
8. Schooner Cruise--Take a two-hour sailing trip along Kennebunkport's scenic coastline aboard the schooner Eleanor, and enjoy relaxation at its best. Bring a picnic lunch or your favorite beverage and snacks.
9. Sunday River Ski Resort--Even if you don't ski, you'll find a weekend up north at Sunday River to be a romantic interlude. Winter activities for couples include ice skating and snow tubing, side-by-side ziplines, fireworks, bonfires, live music and special events. Enjoy dinner at one of the on-mountain restaurants or in nearby Bethel. Click here for More Romantic Ski Resorts.
10. Merrill Auditorium--Enjoy a romantic evening of music by the Portland Symphony Orchestra, a popular music concert or a Broadway show at Merrill Auditorium, followed by a quiet dinner at one of Portland's fine eating establishments.