Taking a trip for your wedding anniversary is a great way to celebrate, especially if it is a milestone. If you got married in March, what the weather is like in various destinations could be a deal-killer or enhancement, depending on location and what you want to do. You have a broad range of choices, from skiing or the beach to a big-city trip for special museum exhibitions, great shopping, and world-class restaurants.
A Couple of Caveats
Starting mid-March and stretching into mid-April, it's spring break. Families, plus high school and college students out for a wild time, can turn an appealing getaway destination into a crowded, loud place that nobody but spring breakers wants to deal with. Make sure you know which places to avoid during spring break before you make anniversary travel plans. And that's not all. In some parts of the country, particularly the Northeast, March is known as "mud season." It's rainy and cold, so unless you cocoon in a romantic country inn, you might want to steer clear of those locations until late spring.
A Place in the Sun
By March, most everyone has had their fill of winter and what they want most is a warm place to swim, sun, and unwind. A big bed with soft sheets, staff that's truly committed to service, and delicious food add to the pleasure. Consider these destinations if you're intent on having a hot time:
- Arizona: sweltering much of the year, Arizona is comfortable in March, and there's dependably plenty of sun
- Florida: If you've already been to one part of this state consider exploring another together, such as tony Naples on the Gulf Coast or the Keys south of Miami
- Caribbean: Turquoise waters and exceptional resorts await on all these islands
- Central America: Belize and Costa Rica are particularly popular with honeymooners; perhaps you should take your second one here
- Mexico: What's your pleasure: beach, culture, history? Coast to coast, there's a place for you
- Australia: It's the beginning of fall Down Under and a great time to experience the magic of the Great Barrier Reef
A Good Bet
Even if throwing $5 into a slot machine would be a big investment for the two of you, spending your March anniversary at a casino-hotel promises loads of fun. No one will force you to spend time in the casino. These properties tend to be surrounded by excellent restaurants, offer professional entertainment, and charge low rates in comparison to what they offer. Consider these places that feature legalized gambling on your anniversary getaway:
- Las Vegas: Try your luck; the weather is great in March
- Puerto Rico: If you don't have passports, there's no worry since they are not required from U.S. citizens
- Aruba: Hot sun and lots of beach await
- Montreal: If you can't get to France drink in the Gallic atmosphere here; it's cold in March but you'll be inside most of the time
If you've never skied wearing a T-shirt and shorts but the idea appeals to you, March is the month to go for it. The freezing winds of winter are just a memory, but the snow's still deep and challenging in these places:
There's nothing more exciting than a trip to big cities like New York, Paris, London, Berlin, Rome, or Madrid. If your pockets are deep and if it's a big anniversary, spring for Paris, the most romantic city in the world, or another European destination that holds many of those same attributes: gorgeous architecture on old winding streets, quaint cafes, history, and museums that hold some of the world's most important art. New York City has the observation deck on top of the Empire State Building where you can capture a romantic movie moment in a photo, along with some of the best restaurants and shopping in the world, Broadway, splendid museums, and those legendary carriage rides in Central Park. Add a bottle of champagne, snuggle up against the cold, and you'll have an anniversary you'll never forget.