Every year since 2003, thousands of music aficionados have thronged on the sprawling grassy terrain at the Domaine National du St-Cloud just outside Paris' city limits to enjoy three days of live music at Rock en Seine, the city's largest summer music festival. The line-up is almost always top-notch, stressing contemporary rock but often peppered with a dose of hip-hop, electronic music or pop for good measure.
Read related: Fete de la Musique - Paris Street Music Festival
You can but tickets for one, two or three days, depending on your stamina and the quality of the lineup. For the seasoned festival-goer who plans to stay the whole three days, camping space is available to set up a tent on the premises. In any case, if you're looking for a good outdoor music festival during your summer sojourn in Paris, make sure to reserve a day or two for Rock en Seine.
Read related feature: Paris for Music Lovers (Best Venues, Performances, Events)
Rock en Seine 2017 Practical Information:
- Dates: August 25th-27th, 2017
- Location: Domaine Nationale du St-Cloud, St-Cloud (just west of Paris)
- How to Get There: The terrain is just five minutes away on foot from Metro Boulogne-Pont de St. Cloud (Line 10:Gare d’Austerlitz/Boulogne–Pont de St-Cloud). You can also take the T2 tramway line to Parc de St-Cloud, or bus number 160, 175, 460, 467, 52, 72 or 126 to Parc de St-Cloud or Pont de St-Cloud.
- How to Buy Tickets to Rock en Seine?: Visit the booking page at the official website (in English)
- Camping Out at the Festival: See this page at the official website for more information. Note that you must reserve a campsite in advance-- you won't be able to do so during the festival. In addition, sites can only be reserved for the full duration of the festival-- one or two-night stays isn't allowed.
- Contact Rock en Seine for more information: Send an e-mail to email@example.com
Highlights From the 2017 Lineup
2017's festival includes major names in indie rock: Headlining acts this summer include PJ Harvey, Franz Ferdinand, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Shins, The Kills, Cypress Hill, XX, Flume, The Pretty Reckless, Band of Horses, At the Drive-In, Fakear, and The Lemon Twigs.
Want to see the full lineup and purchase tickets in advance? Visit this page at the official website(in English).
How to Make the Most of the Festival?
First of all, make sure to book tickets early, or risk disappointment: I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is probably the most coveted festival of the year.
Secondly, if you opt to camp out, make sure to reserve a spot well in advance, and come prepared: don't find yourself freezing in the grass or getting caught in a heavy shower (definitely a possibility in August in Paris). Make sure you don't bring equipment that's prohibited on the campground, including