- Robert has traveled to nearly 100 countries over the past decade, surveying all the weird, amazing, and wonderful things each has to offer along the way.
- Robert is the creator of the award-winning travel blog Leave Your Daily Hell and boasts several dozen digital and print bylines as well, most notably Business Insider, CNN Travel, The Huffington Post and the inflight magazines of Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways.
- Robert has been based in Asia since early 2017, and while he travels globally from his current home in Taiwan, he has a special affinity for the Far East. In May 2018 he launched Japan Starts Here, a comprehensive resource dedicated to the Land of the Rising Sun.
It was early 2014 when Robert began contributing to TripSavvy, which was then known as About.com. He was actually in the midst of his first trip to Japan when he came on as the "Weird & Amazing Travel" guide. This was fitting, since Japan is the epicenter of the weirdest and most amazing things on the planet.
Five years earlier, during a brief stint teaching English in Shanghai, he'd launched Leave Your Daily Hell. Though it had originally been a means of communicating with his family and friends from behind China's "Great Firewall," the blog quickly grew in popularity, having reached around 100,000 unique visitors per month by the time Robert became part of the TripSavvy family.
In order to build his blog's content and his own credibility as a travel expert, Robert has spent more than half his time on the road during the past decade. He's visited all six of the world's inhabited continents.
Although Robert's primary focus has been monetizing his websites, he has also contributed to a wide range of publications. Early in his career he was a regular contributor to mainstream outlets such as CNN Travel (which was known as CNNGo at the time) and The Huffington Post. More recently, he's written for more specialized media, including a slew of in-flight magazines for top airlines and boutique publications throughout Asia, such as Singapore's luxury-focused World Travel Magazine.
Robert has visited most of the major destinations on his bucket list, but some places remain, most notably Antarctica. He also hopes to embark on a more extensive trip of Africa, which he considers the most fascinating place on Earth.
Robert earned a BA in Creative Writing from the University of Tampa in 2006. He is conversationally fluent in French, Spanish, and Thai, and has studied Chinese, German, and Japanese as well.Awards and Publications
- Robert is the creator of the travel blog Leave Your Daily Hell, which in 2015 was ranked #10 in the world according to visitor numbers from Google Analytics.
- Robert launched Japan Starts Here in May 2018 as a resource to inform—and inspire—any trip to Japan.
About TripSavvy and Dotdash
TripSavvy writers are on-the-ground experts — they speak the local language, know how to catch their city’s tram, train or bus, and definitely have tabs on the best of everything in town, from cocktail to kids’ menu. And since the world changes every day, your travel guide should, too. Our dedicated team of editors is regularly reviewing our library to perform updates on thousands of articles per month. If you see something that doesn’t seem up to date, please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com.
TripSavvy is part of the Dotdash publishing family. For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication.