Of the many resorts I've visited over the years, The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain Golf Resort holds many of my fondest memories. Set against the stunning backdrop of the Tortolita Mountains, Dove Mountain is less than an hour from Tucson International Airport in the Town of Marana, in the heart of the Sonoran Desert. Tucson is one of my own personal favorite golf destinations. I first visited the area way back in 1984 and I go back as often as I can.
The Resort provides, not only an unbelievable setting for one of the world's finest golf courses, it was for many years the home of The WGC-Accenture Match Play Championships.
The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain Golf Resort is truly a luxury resort like no other. It's Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course, 27 holes set out in three nines - the front nine, Saguaro - the back nine, Tortolita, and the spare nine (Jack's own personal favorite) Wild Burro - fits perfectly into the stunning desert, mountain landscape. The fairways like green velvet ribbons scattered across the golden desert sand, the greens set like pearls at the end of each ribbon, all make for a visual experience one is never likely to forget.
The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain resort features luxurious guestrooms, a 17,000-square-foot spa with indoor and outdoor treatment rooms, world-class hiking and Cayton's, the resort's signature restaurant.
Other recreational pursuits include, biking, bird watching, star gazing, ranch activities, fitness activities, and more. They say the resort is "a place where adventure and a gracious spirit come to life." I couldn't have put it better. It's a place where my to favorite pastimes - golf and photography - meld into the perfect vacation; a perfect destination for the ultimate golf adventure.
Guest Room Features & Amenities
- 209 Deluxe Guest Rooms, including The Ritz-Carlton Club Level (450 to 600 square feet)
- 44 individual and casita suites (900 to 1,300 square feet), including The Ritz-Carlton Suite (2,100 square feet)
- Multiple bedroom casita options (1,700 to 2,600 square feet) that take on the appearance of a village within the resort, tucked away in the Wild Burro Canyon
The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club, Dove Mountain
The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club, Dove Mountain is world-class layout set against the Tortolita Mountain Range, Jack Nicklaus' 27 holes, laid out in three nines, are as challenging as they are visually stunning, a seamless blend of modern golf course design and the High Sonoran Desert. The large greens (made famous by the criticism of Tiger Woods during the 2009 WGC-Accenture Match Play Championships), are still just as fast, though not quite so undulating as they once were. The fairways feature generous landing areas and meander around desert washes, old-growth saguaro, native plants and animal life, with five sets of tees designed to provide an enjoyable round of golf for player of all levels of skill. Other featrures include:
- Golf Instruction and 12-Acre Practice Facility
- Guaranteed tee times at all three courses
- Afull service golf and retail shop
- A 45,000 square foot Clubhouse
The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain Spa and Fitness Center
The Spa experience at Dove Mountain is designed around the balancing elements of wood, fire, earth and water honoring the indigenous outdoor Sonoran lifestyle. The 17,000 square-foot spa and fitness center features a selection of treatments that reflect nature and these peaceful surrounds, including wellness counseling, body and anti-aging therapies.
- 14 indoor/outdoor treatment rooms
- Two esthetic rooms, one hydrotherapy room, one Vichy shower
- Two oversized suites for couples and groups of friends
- A full service salon with two hair stations and three manicure and four pedicure chairs
- Comprehensive fitness center that offers a variety of exercise and yoga classes
- Private fitness instruction available
- PRECOR strength and cardio equipment
- Cayton's Clubhouse Restaurant is Dove Mountain's signature eatery - Lunch and dinner, American Comfort Cuisine with a Soutwestern flair
- Core Kitchen and Wine Bar - Breakfast and dinner, Contemporary American Cuisine with Southwestern influences
- Turquesa Latin Grill & Bar - Lunch and Happy Hour, Traditional Latin fare with a Tucson-inspired influence
- Ignite Lounge & Bar - Lunch and dinner, Gastro- Pub fare
Yep, you can even take along your best friends. Guests and their pets receive a special welcome amenity, with gourmet treats and a personalized water bowl. The hotel has dedicated rooms for pets, as well as a dog-walker on property. The hotel's pet policy includes a 20-pound weight limit and fee of $125 per room, per stay.
Where to Stay
- The Ritz-Carlton Dove Mountain Resort: Compare Prices for nights at Dove Mountain
How to Get There:
The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club, Dove Mountain is about 45 minutes from Tucson Airport at 6501 Boulder Ridge Pass, Marana, Arizona 85658. Telephone: 520-572-3500.
Note: As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary accommodation and access to the resort amenities for the purpose of reviewing those services. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.