While the high desert climate of Las Vegas might not make you think it's an ideal destination for ice skating, the Ice Rink at the Cosmopolitan Hotel on the Strip was ranked by USA Today as one of the "10 Best Ice Skating Rinks in North America" several years in a row. Although the weather in Las Vegas rarely dips below freezing during the daytime, nighttime lows in the upper 20s and lower 30s can make you feel like you're truly experiencing a winter wonderland at the rink. Featuring 4,200 square feet of real ice, roasted s’mores by the fire, and several special events throughout the holiday season, the Ice Rink is the perfect destination in Las Vegas for a winter adventure—even in the high desert.
The Ice Rink Season
Each year, the Boulevard Pool at the Cosmopolitan Hotel transforms into a winter wonderland that towers over the Vegas Strip. Known as the Ice Rink, this special attraction offers visitors a variety of winter activities, warm snacks, and tasty beverages to get you in the holiday spirit.
This year, the Ice Rink is open from November 20, 2019, through January 5, 2020, with varying hours throughout the season. From November 20 through December 20, the rink is open from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and from noon to 11 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays—with the exception of November 28 and 29, when the rink is open from noon to midnight. From December 21 through January 5, the rink is open daily from noon to midnight but will be closed on New Year's Eve and open until midnight on Christmas Eve and Day.
Admission to the Ice Rink includes all-day access to the facilities as well as complimentary skate rentals and varies in price for locals and military members, hotel guests, and children. However, there is no cost to enter the Boulevard Pool and enjoy the Ice Rink area—unless you buy something at the snack station or bar. Additionally, guests must be 2 years of age or older to attend, and all children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Special Events at the Ice Rink
Throughout the season, the Ice Rink hosts a variety of special events and activities to help guests celebrate the holidays and get into the winter spirit. From the annual tree lighting ceremony to a rock 'n' roll marathon party, these special events are sure to bring joy to your holiday trip to the Ice Rink.
- Rock 'N' Roll Marathon Party: Known as the official afterparty for the Humana Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon, which takes place on November 16 and 17, this event kicks off the Ice Rink season a few days early. Watch the race from the rink with complimentary hot chocolate and ice skating before anyone else gets access to the venue.
- Tree Lighting Ceremony: Featuring Vegas Golden Knights Marc-André Fleury and Max Pacioretty and hosted by Big D and Mark Shunock, this special event officially launches the Ice Rink season on November 20 with the lighting of a 36-foot-tall Christmas tree.
- Date Skate: Every Monday and Tuesday from November 25 through December 30, you can enjoy a movie night under the stars courtesy of the Ice Rink. Ideal for romantic partners but also appropriate for all guests over the age of 18, these special screenings feature everything from blockbuster movies to holiday classics.
- Benny the Ice Skating Dog: This kid-friendly event benefitting the Animal Foundation features Benny, a labrador that was rescued days before euthanization, skating across the ice all evening long.
- Marquee Mistletoe Ball with DJ Crespo: New in 2019, this special event transforms the Ice Rink into a high-energy club. Guests are invited to skate for free with the donation of a non-perishable food item and can pay to take pictures with Santa and Rudolph. All proceeds go to benefit Three Square.
- A Night with The Knights: Enjoy a special meet and greet with the Vegas Golden Knights, the Las Vegas professional hockey team, during this special one-night event, which takes place in mid-December.
- Vice on Ice: This event benefitting the Nevada Partnership for Homeless Youth (NPHY) and co-sponsored by Tao Group Hospitality Cares features marquee resident DJ Vice, who will take over the Ice Rink with a lively set. During the event, guests can enjoy complimentary skating with a donation from NPHY’s Holiday Wish List.
- Snow Showers: Light snow showers happen every 30 minutes on Fridays through Sundays from November 20 through December 20 from 7 to 11 p.m. and on Tuesdays through Sundays from December 21 through January 5 from 7 to 11 p.m.
Food and Drinks at the Ice Rink
Along with on-site restaurants at the Cosmopolitan Hotel like Scarpetta, STK and China Poblano, you'll also have plenty of opportunities to indulge in winter treats and drinks at the Ice Rink all season long.
The Ice Rink Cafe offers a variety of small platters like mac and cheese bites, pigs in a blanket, chicken nachos, and sliders as well as a selection of desserts including cinnamon churros, campfire s'mores, and made-to-order beignets. Meanwhile, the on-site bar offers curated cocktails like the "Egg Noggy Nog" with Bulleit bourbon, Mom's house-made batter, and Rumchata; the "Scrooged" with Ron Zacapa Rum, pumpkin puree, praline, Baileys liqueur, and frosted flake milk and coffee; and the "Campfire Delight" with Don Julio Reposado tequila, Rumchata, and chocolate and toasted marshmallows.