Reno's free movies are a big attraction for families on tight budgets. These 2014 free movie venues provide family friendly entertainment without putting a crimp in your wallet, and they introduce you to more ways to stretch the dollars you may have for fun activities. All movies aren't necessarily suitable for everyone - be sure to check what's showing on the screen before showing up at the movie.
Artown Movies in the Park
Each Friday evening during Artown (July 1 - July 31), Movies in the Park will feature a flick at the Wingfield Park Amphitheater in downtown Reno. Seating is on the grass, so bring a low-back chair and blanket. Showtime is 9 p.m.
- July 11 - Young Frankenstein
- July 18 - The Misfits
- July 25 - Annie
Free Tuesday Night Movies at the University of Nevada, Reno
This series of free movies will show at Gateway Plaza in front of UNR's Joe Crowley Student Union, starting at 9 p.m. Bring a blanket and low-back chair. There will be free popcorn and drinks. In case of bad weather, movies will be shown in the 3rd floor theater. Be sure to note that many of these movies are not suitable for young children. For more information, call (775) 784-6505.
- July 1 - Captain America - The Winter Soldier
- July 8 - Cesar Chavez
- July 15 - Transcendence
- July 22 - Bears
- July 29 - The Quiet Ones
- August 5 - The Amazing Spider Man 2
- August 12 - Godzilla
Free Movies at Washoe County Library Branches
There are free family movies every month at various branches of the Washoe County Library. Besides movies, there are lots of other free monthly activities at various library branches - be sure to check at the beginning of the month to see what's playing and at which branch.
Children 9 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Downtown Reno Library, Sundays, July 6 and 20, August 3 and 17, September 7 and 21, 2 p.m. - Come to the Downtown Reno Library on selected Sundays for the free Sunday Movie Matinee. Watch a variety of popular movies in the library auditorium. Call (775) 327-8301 to inquire about movie titles and for more information.
Free Family Play at the Washoe County Library
Reno Little Theater presents Sleeping Beauty at various branches of the Washoe County Library. It's a live play, not a movie. This version is a fractured fairytale and theatrical entertainment for the whole family.
- Sparks Library - Saturday, July 12, 2014: 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Spanish Springs Library - Sunday, July 13, 2014: 1 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Kings Beach - Saturday, July 19, 2014: 7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Northwest Reno Library - Saturday, July 19, 2014: 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- North Valleys Library - Saturday, July 26, 2014: 10:30 a.m. - 12 noon
- Downtown Reno Library - Sunday, July 27, 2014: 2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- South Valleys Library - Wednesday, July 30, 2014: 7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Free Family Movie Nights at Comstock Park
Hope Community is sponsoring two fun Friday family movie nights in south Reno's Comstock Park (corner of Double Diamond and Carat). Both movies will begin at 8 p.m. and all the fun, food and movies are totally free.
- July 18 - Frozen
- August 15 - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Free Summer Movies at Squaw Valley
These family movies will be shown in the Events Plaza at the Village at Squaw Valley on Thursday evenings, starting at 8:30 p.m. (weather permitting). Bring blankets and warm clothes. For more information, call (866) 818-6963.
- July 3 - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- July 10 - Frozen
- July 24 - Gravity
- July 31 - The Lego Movie
- August 7 - Man of Steel
- August 14 - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- August 21 - 42
- August 28 - Jurassic Park