An app that lets you renew your American passport without a trip to the DMV or post office? Sign us up.
The app was created by ItsEasy, a US passport and visa expediting company that has been in business since 1976. It's the first of its kind to allow U.S. passport holders to renew their passport from their iPhone in a secure and easy way. (The app will soon be available for Android users.)
For standard renewals, the ItsEasy service fee is $29.95, in addition to the regular US State Department passport renewal fee (currently $110 for adults age 16 and up and $80 for minors under age 16).
The ItsEasy service includes a USPS shipping label, passport photos that can be emailed (or snail mailed) to you, and a tracking tool that lets you see where your request is in the renewal process.
Need your passport renewal in a hurry? That will cost significantly more. For a rush US passport renewal, the ItsEasy service fee starts at $89 for a 10-day renewal and rises to $289 for one- to three-day renewals, in addition to the US State Department expedited passport renewal fee of $170.
Features of the app include:
- US Passport Renewal: The app lets you renew your passport from home. It is registered by the US government as a safe, secure and confidential agent. Simply send your signed application and passport to ItsEasy with the included trackable shipping label and the company will pre-check all of your documents, submit government payment, print and attach your passport photo and securely deliver your documents to the US State Department for processing.
- Passport Photos: The app will produce 2-inch x 2-inch photos that can be used for passports, visas, state exams, licensing applications and other official documentation. Simply take a photo using your iPhone/iPad and choose your desired delivery option. The app lets you upload your photo with your passport and/or visa order, print and ship anywhere in the US or its territories. Alternatively, the app offers instant digital delivery via email. If there are any issues with your photo, ItsEasy will alert you to the problem and provide instructions on how to retake the photos.
- Passport Renewal Reminder: This complimentary service will automatically remind you nine months before your passport is up for renewal.
Once your order is completed through the app, ItsEasy will instantly email the correct passport application to be printed and completed, a simple checklist and a secure trackable USPS priority shipping label to send the documents into ItsEasy for reviewing and processing. ItsEasy will deliver all necessary documents to the U.S. Department of State, who issues all passports and passport cards.
The U.S. Department of State announced the elimination of visa page inserts for U.S. passports beginning in 2016. Previously, U.S. passport holders had the option to pay for the insertion of additional 24-page visa inserts when valid passports lacked adequate space for entry or exit visa stamps. The change in policy means that applicants who run out of blank pages in their passports will have to obtain a passport renewal.
The ItsEasy app is currently available as a free download for iPhone and is promised for Android soon.
Note that this app is for renewals of US passports. For first-time passport applications, you must follow the usual process for obtaining a passport.
Travel Documentation 101
- How to Get an American Passport
- Required Documents for International Travel with Kids
- The Facts About Real ID and Your Family Vacation
- Free Parental Consent Forms for Traveling Minors
ItsEasy Passport & Visa Services
Since 1976, ItsEasy has processed over two million passport and visa applications. Based in New York City with service centers in Boston, Washington, DC, Houston, Los Angeles and Denver, ItsEasy is one of the largest and most established names in the business. Passport and visa services are available in as little as 6 hours in some cases. For emergency passport or rush visa services, call 1-866-ITS-EASY.
Online Passport Renewal
Looking for a way to renew your passport online? The State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs says it may happen. Speaking at a symposium in Washington in May 2017, community relations officer for passport services Carl Siegmund said the government is looking to roll out a limited, online renewal option in mid-2018.
The rollout would include the option of push notifications to help applicants stay informed on the status of their applications, including updates via email and SMS text.
Stay up to date on the latest family vacations getaway ideas, travel tips, and deals. Sign up for my free family vacations newsletter today!