You may have been checking out the weather forecast in advance of your visit to Mexico, but don't be dismayed if you see a full calendar of clouds and rain predicted. Rainy season in Mexico can actually be quite pleasant, and it's not necessarily a bad time to visit at all, with rain making the vegetation lush and abundant.
When is rainy season?
Rainy season in central and southern Mexico lasts roughly from May or June through October or November.
Hurricanes and tropical storms can go hand-in-hand with the rainy season, so read up on hurricane season travel as well. Rainy season is not really a concern for travelers to northern Mexico or the Baja Peninsula, as it rains so little there, but travelers to central and southern Mexico should definitely bear it in mind when planning their trip..
Advantages to Rainy Season Travel:
During rainy season landscapes that are dry and brown turn lush and green. The rain also lowers temperatures so the weather is not as unbearably hot as it may be otherwise. It generally rains in the afternoon and evening and very few days are rainy all day - you can usually get some sightseeing or beach fun in the morning, and if it rains in the afternoon you can look for some indoor activities to enjoy. Do plan your outdoor activities for early in the day so you can take advantage of the sun while it's out, and choose from the following activities for rainy afternoons or the extremely rare all-day rain.
Rainy Day Activities:
- Visit museums or other indoor attractions. All Mexican destinations have museums or historical buildings to visit and you'll enjoy them whether the sun is shining or not.
- Go underground or under the water: rainy days are great for exploring caves and cenotes, where you won't even be aware of the weather conditions.
- Head to the spa. A pampering spa treatment is a great way to spend your time no matter the weather, but you will surely enjoy it even more if you know you're not missing out on time in the sun.
- Sample some tequila or mezcal. If the rain gets you down, the perfect way to lift your spirits is to lift a glass of Mexican spirits.
- Take a Mexican cooking class. Learn about Mexican cuisine and the ingredients that make it special, and then enjoy some of that great food.
- Catch a movie. Hollywood movies are shown in English with Spanish subtitles, except for kids' movies which are dubbed in Spanish.
- Head to the market or mall. A little retail therapy will make you forget your rainy day blues in no time.
Read more about the weather in Mexico.