Want to get a behind-the-scenes look at Radio City Music Hall's beautiful art deco interiors? From visiting the private apartment of Samuel Lionel "Roxy" Rothafel to getting to talk to a Rockette, this tour offers a great chance to see this gorgeous building up-close and learn about its rich history.
Since opening in 1932, Radio City Music Hall has been well known for its beautiful art deco architecture, and the 'Stage Door Tour' offers visitors a chance to explore this beautiful building accompanied by a knowledgeable, enthusiastic tour guide. Fully renovated in 1999, the Radio City Music Hall was restored to its original glory from floor to ceiling, with new carpeting featuring the original designs to restored gold leaf ceilings.
Our tour guide was charming and energetic, sharing with our group the design ideas behind various aspects of the Music Hall. He led us through the Great Stage and the lobbies, to see the hydraulic elevators first-hand, the private apartment of Samuel Lionel "Roxy" Rothafel, and finally to meet a Rockette in person (yes, there is a chance to have your photo taken with the Rockette). We even headed into the women's lounge to see the detailed murals.
Unlike some other venue tours, the 'Stage Door Tour' of Radio City Music Hall offered access that would be impossible if we had simply purchased tickets to see a performance at Radio City, making it worthwhile for visitors who appreciate art deco architecture and design.
- See the beautiful art deco music hall
- Meet a Rockette
- Charming, enthusiastic tour guides
- Learn about the history of Radio City Music Hall
- Tour access can be limited if there is a performance
- Tour Highlights:
- The Great Stage
- Hydraulic elevators
- Meet a Rockette
- Roxy's Private apartment
- The tour lasts approximately an hour and is offered from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. 7 days a week.
- Stage Door Tour Price: $26.95, $19.95 for children under 12
- Purchase same day tickets at the Radio City Avenue Store adjacent to the Music Hall.
- Closest Subway to Radio City Music Hall Tour: B/D/F/V to 47-50/Rockefeller Center (Rock Center Map)
- The tour includes some stairs, but they can accommodate guests needing elevators.
- 95% of the tour is accessible by wheelchair and they have wheelchairs they can loan to patrons.
- Admission included with the New York Pass.
- Stage Door Tour Pictures
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary services for review purposes. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our Ethics Policy.