Located in Brooklyn's Prospect Park, the Prospect Park Zoo is a key attraction in Prospect Park's Children's Corner. The zoo is perfectly sized for a visit with even young children -- it takes about two hours to experience just about everything the zoo has to offer.
Prospect Park has a long history of displaying animals, dating back to the late 1800s when there was a small menagerie in Prospect Park. While a few of the structures from the former zoo were preserved in the building of the current Prospect Park Zoo, the renovation focused on creating humane, naturalistic habitats for the animals, with exhibits that would be educational and interactive for children.
Today, the Prospect Park Zoo is home to over 125 wildlife species, with more than 400 animals. The collection features animals from around the world -- with fantastic opportunities to observe animals up-close and experience animal habits and habitats. Children will particularly love the Discovery Trail where they can hop on lily pads, climb up prairie dog tunnels and even wear turtle shells.
Things to Do at the Prospect Park Zoo:
- Walk along the Discovery Trail to see most of the animals.
- Feed and pet animals in the Barn & Garden
- Sea lion feedings are scheduled daily.
- Don't miss the indoor exhibits, including the Animal Lifestyles building that has baboons that are especially fun to observe.
Prospect Park Zoo Tips:
- The Prospect Park Zoo's main entrance on Flatbush Avenue requires descending many steps -- not ideal for stroller or wheelchair users. The Children's Corner entrance is a better bet, located at the south end of the park near the Carousel and Lefferts Historic House.
- Plan for about 2 hours to visit Prospect Park Zoo.
- Start with a visit to the Discovery Trail which covers most of the outdoor exhibits, as well as many interactive opportunities.
- The Refreshments Building offers snacks and drinks from vending machines or you can bring a picnic lunch.
Getting to the Prospect Park Zoo:
- 450 Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn
- Closest Subways: B, Q or Franklin Avenue Shuttle to Prospect Park Station
Prospect Park Zoo Contacts:
- Phone: 718-399-7339
- Website: http://prospectparkzoo.com/
Prospect Park Zoo Admission:
- $8 for Adults
- $5 for Children 3-12
- $6 for Seniors (65+)
- Free for Children under 3
- Free for Members
Prospect Park Zoo Hours:
- Winter Hours: (November - late March) 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Summer Hours: (late March - late October) 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., 5:30 p.m. on weekends and holidays
- The zoo is open every day, year round
- Last admission sold 30 minutes before closing