01 of 04
Great Beach Destination in Bahia, Brazil
Praia do Forte, one of Brazil's most attractive beaches, is a fun destination which can easily be added to a trip to Salvador. A district of Mata de São João (pop. 37,201), Praia do Forte is about 60 kilometers to the north of Salvador, on the Coconut Tree Coast.
There's no such thing as boredom in Praia do Forte. Here are some ideas for things to do:
Continue to 2 of 4 below.
- Get up early and watch the sunrise - one of the most beautiful in Brazil.
- Visit the local base of Projeto Tamar, a non-governmental organization which protects sea turtles. The base is open year long. From July to September, biologists are managing the nests; in the summer, the newly hatched turtles do their race to the sea.
- At Projeto Tamar, visit the Garcia D'Ávila Lighthouse, built in 1971.
- Watch humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae; in Portuguese, they're called baleias jubarte) from July to October. Instituto Baleia Jubarte offers boat rides and also hosts a voluntourism program (July-November).
- The fort which gave the... beach its name is no longer standing. But you can take a tour of the 16th-century Garcia D'Ávila Castle, located on a hilltop and just two kilometers from the village. Built in 1551, the castle, also known as Casa da Torre, is the only construction with medieval characteristics in the Americas.
- Show off your game on the P. B. Dye-designed green of Iberostate Praia do Forte Golf Club (www.iberostar.com.br)
- Walk, ride a bike, a horse or a quadricycle at Reserva da Sapiranga, an Atlantic rainforest preservation area with seven signaled trails. You can also take a dip in the Pojuca River.
- Fly over Praia do Forte with Fly and Fun. From July to October, there are humpback whale-watching flights.
- Go on an adventure with Portomar - they offer parasailing, buggy tours, and canoe rides on the Timeantube Lagoon.
- Walk the rainforest canopy at Parque de Aventura Bicho-Preguiça (Sloth Adventure Park) - groups must have at least six people.
- Go snorkeling (rent masks at Projeto Tamar).
02 of 04
Praia do Forte Hotels and Accommodations
Praia do Forte, in Bahia, is famous for its all-inclusive resorts. But the beach has retained its village atmosphere and a laid-back lifestyle which is well reflected in local pousadas and a hostel. Here are the best accommodations in Praia do Forte, for a wide range of budgets.
- Tivoli Ecoresort Praia do Forte
Integration with nature and sustainable practices; suites with expansive views of coconut groves, gardens, and the sea are some of the best features at one of Brazil's best beach resorts.
- Iberostar Praia do Forte All Inclusive
Opened in 2008, the resort with 536 guest rooms, five restaurants and five bars is great for couples and families with kids.
- Iberostar Bahia
More five-star comfort, Iberostar style, on one of Brazil's most beautiful beaches. The hotel has 630 guest suites, four restaurants, five snack bars and restaurants.
Mid-Range Hotels and Pousadas
- Pousada Casa do Forte
Opened in 2009, the pousada is a short walk from the village center and the beach has 31... guest rooms, some with Balinese touches and others with salvaged wood furniture made in Tiradentes, Minas Gerais. A bar, a restaurant, a pool, and a kids' area are some amenities.
- Pousada Refúgio da Vila
A pousada with 30 cozy guest rooms in rustic style and a restaurant serving Bahian culinary delights.
- Via dos Corais Hotel
Near the village center, the hotel has 50 guest rooms, a restaurant, a bar, and an area for the preparation of meals for babies.
- Hotel Eco Atlântico
The hotel near the ocean, with 32 guest rooms, opened in 2004. Codfish is its seafood restaurant's main specialty; there are two pools (one for kids) and a playground.
- Pousada Porto Zarpa
Opened in 2001, the Pousada follows sustainable practices such as the responsible disposal of trash, solar energy, and the use of biodegradable products. It has 32 guest rooms.
- Pousada Sobrado da Vila
In the village center, the Pousada opened in 1990 has kept up its bright looks. It has 27 apartments, a restaurant, and a pool.
- Pousada Farol das Tartarugas
With 11 apartments and four bungalows, the toes-in-the-sand pousada has colorful ambiance and nice places to rest while looking at the sea.
Praia do Forte Hotels and Pousadas: Budget
- Pousada Aloha Brasil
- Pousada Balanço do Mar
- Pousada Casa de Praia
- Pousada João Sol
- Pousada Mares do Forte
- Pousada Ogum Marinho
- Pousada Rosa dos Ventos
- Pousada Sonho da Lagoa
The Hostel at Praia do Forte
Vacation Rentals in Praia do ForteContinue to 3 of 4 below.
- Tivoli Ecoresort Praia do Forte
03 of 04
Praia do Forte Restaurants, Bars and Cafés
There are several pleasant places - some quite affordable - at the village. Praia do Forte has some good creperies, for example, Creperia do Totonho (Alameda da Lua, s/n, phone: 55-71-3676-1327). Other good spots are:
Continue to 4 of 4 below.
- Café do Forte
A bistro serving fine dishes à la carte, such as the fillet au poivre vert, as well as an almoço executivo, or fixed price lunch. The restaurant has a resident DJ.
- Sabor de Ogum at Pousada Ogum Marinho
Varied Bahia food and a feijoada buffet on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays are the highlights.
- Vila Gourmet at Pousada Sobrado da Vila
Contemporary Bahia and Northeastern food. All vegetables served are organic.
- Tango Café
A local favorite serving sandwiches, pies, snacks and ice cream.
- Taverna Paradiso (Avenida Antônio Carlos Magalhães, no number; phone: 55-71-3676-1587)
One of the best-loved Italian restaurants in Bahia. Chef Nalva Guidetti prepares dishes from the Tuscan and Bolognese culinary.
- Terreiro Bahia
Chefs Tereza Paim and Diogo Pereira focus on regional... Brazilian food in this restaurant with a play area for kids.
- Café do Forte
04 of 04
How to Get to Praia do Forte from Salvador
It's easy to get to Praia do Forte by bus from Salvador. Linha Verde (phone: 55-71-3460-3636) has a few daily buses from the Salvador Bus Terminal. The trip lasts about one hour and 40 minutes.
There are also buses that depart several times a day from a stop near the ferry boat to Itaparica. Praia do Forte Hostel has the schedule for those on their website. Go to their Praia do Forte Hostel: How to Get Here page.
You can also take a taxi or find out whether the place where you're staying offers transfers. Expect to pay about $60 or more.