Port Authority Bus Terminal is the largest and busiest bus terminal in the United States, serving 200,000 riders daily. Greyhound, New Jersey Transit and the Trailways, as well as other carriers offer bus service from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. The NYC Subway stops at Port Authority.
The Port Authority Bus Terminal is located on 8th Avenue and 42nd Street, making it a very convenient arrival/departure point if you're visiting Times Square.
The bus terminal is open and operates 24-hours a day, but from 1-6 a.m. all departures are from the North Wing. From 1-5 a.m. only ticketed passengers are allowed inside the terminal and the only entrance that is open is the one on 8th Avenue.
01 of 05
Where is the Port Authority Bus Terminal?
Port Authority Bus Terminal is located between 40th and 42nd Streets and 8th and 9th Avenues. There are entrances to Port Authority Bus Terminal from various points on 40th Street, 42nd Street, 8th Avenue and 9th Avenue.
Subway to Port Authority Bus Terminal:
- A/C/E to 42th Street/Port Authority
- N/R/Q, 7, & 1/2/3 to 42nd Street/Times Square via underground walkway
02 of 05
Attractions Near Port Authority Bus Terminal
It is easy to get from Port Authority Bus Terminal to other parts of New York City via subway, but within just a short distance, you can find:
- Times Square - Popular destination for Broadway shows and other visitors to New York City
- Madame Tussaud's - This New York City wax museum just a block away from PABT
- Ripley's Believe It Or Not! Times Square - If you want to see something odd or unusual, look no further than Ripley's, just a short walk from the bus terminal
03 of 05
Food and Drink Near Port Authority Bus Terminal
Port Authority Bus Terminal has fast food options, as well as a branch of Heartland Brewery on site. If you want to leave the terminal, but stay nearby, here are some suggestions:
- Esca - Italian Seafood (43rd between 9th/10th Aves)
- Ollie's Noodle Shop - Asian(42nd/9th Ave)
- Schnippers Quality Kitchen - American (41st/8th)
04 of 05
Hotels Near Port Authority Bus Terminal
There are a number of affordable hotels near Port Authority Bus Terminal. Visitors will appreciate convenient transportation and services, as well as walk-ability to Times Square/Broadway and Midtown neighborhoodsContinue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
Port Authority Bus Terminal Tips and Advice
- Approximately 200,000 passengers travel through Port Authority Bus Terminal daily, so be prepared for bustle and crowds, particularly at peak travel times.
- Since Port Authority Bus Terminal has multiple bus services, most have their own ticketing booths. You can't buy an Greyhound ticket from the Trailways booth, and vice versa.
- There are information booths on the main level and subway level. They are open daily and can help you if you have any transportation-related questions.
- Check out this Port Authority Bus Terminal Map from the PABT to better understand the layout and orient yourself before you head to Port Authority.
- Port Authority has pretty good signage, as well as many officials (think police, National Guard, etc.) who can answer your questions.
- There are several bathrooms located throughout Port Authority Bus Terminal, but they tend to live up to their reputation of being dirty and unpleasant.