Mumbai has some great restaurants and pubs that offer cheap beer, a lively atmosphere, and somewhere to catch up with friends or other travelers. Check out these popular Mumbai hangouts, all conveniently located in the Colaba tourist district.
01 of 06
Music is the motto at Cafe Mondegar, and it pumps from the jukebox throughout the day and night. Retro rock is the usual flavor, although jazz and pop are also on offer. The continental food served provides a welcome alternative to the usual Indian fare, and the breakfasts are especially popular. Beer and wine are the only alcoholic beverages available. Beer costs 220 rupees for a mug or 880 rupees for a pitcher, including tax. It's always busy here but the friendly, smiling staff make sure everyone's well looked after.
- Features: Interesting artwork and a jukebox loaded with music.
- Address: Corner of Colaba Causeway, next to the Regal Cinema, Colaba. Ph: (022)2202-0591.
- Opening Hours: 7 a.m. until midnight.
02 of 06
Leopold Cafe and Bar
Leopold's is perhaps Mumbai's most famous cafe, and it's gained further notoriety since featuring in Gregory David Robert's account of his time in Mumbai, in the epic Shantaram. Leopold's has now moved on from its checkered past to find a prominent position for itself on every traveler's must-visit list. It's packed with foreigners hoping to relive the Shantaram legend over huge pitchers of beer. A pitcher costs 800 rupees, plus tax. If you're really feeling thirsty, get the beer tower (1,600 rupees). The food is diverse (Indian, Chinese, and Continental), and the servings are large and fresh.
- Features: Dimly light upstairs area with DJ playing assorted tunes into the night.
- Address: Colaba Causeway, Colaba. Ph: (022)2202-0131.
- Opening Hours: 7.30 a.m. until 1 a.m.
03 of 06
Hip and happening, the Colaba Social is a new hangout that's collaborative work space by day and high-energy bar by night. Head there if you want to drink beer that's a step-up from the ubiquitous Kingfisher. Craft beers are priced at 225-325 rupees, plus tax. There are many other tempting alcoholic drinks available too
- Features: Innovative presentation of food and drinks. Vast and well-researched menu offering eclectic street food from around the world that's served in a fun and unconventional way.
- Address: 24 Glen Rose Building, B.K.Boman Behram Marg, behind the Taj Hotel, Apollo Bunder, Colaba. Ph: (022)2282-8484.
- Opening Hours: 9 a.m. until 1 a.m.
04 of 06
An upscale pub in Colaba, The Woodside Inn is renowned for its beers and burgers (in fact, it holds an annual Beer and Burger Festival). Downstairs there's a bar, while upstairs is the restaurant. The menu is European and a hearty breakfast is served until 5 p.m. If you're feeling a bit worse for wear, try one of their Hangover Cures!
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- Features: Retro vibes and extensive selection of craft beers.
- Address: Indian Mercantile Mansion, Wodehouse Road, opposite Regal Cinema, Colaba. Ph: (022)2287-5752.
- Opening Hours: 11 a.m. until 1 a.m.
05 of 06
Formerly called the Starlit Cafe, Bayview is tucked away on the rooftop of the mediocre Hotel Harbour View and the Strand Hotel. It's simply decorated with terracotta tiles and mosaic walls. However, the sea breeze and expansive views more than make up for it. There are frequent special offers on beer, and tasty Indian and Chinese food to accompany it. Apart from sunset, Bayview is a particularly good place to hang out during the monsoon rain.
- Features: Incredible views over the Gateway of India monument and Mumbai harbor.
- Address: Opposite the Radio Club, 25 JP Ramchandani Marg, Colaba. Ph: (022)2282-1089.
- Opening Hours: 7 a.m. until 12.30 a.m.
06 of 06
Alps Restaurant and Beer Bar
The Alps Restaurant & Beer Bar is a small, slightly seedy, simply decorated place that has laminated tables, hanging lamps, and pictures of Hollywood stars gracing its walls. Chill out there over the cheapest pitchers of beer (576 rupees) you'll find in Mumbai. A mug of beer costs only 133 rupees and a pint is 166 rupees. Sensational sizzlers, and fish & chips are also served.
- Features: Rock music, and sports on TV.
- Address: Roosevelt House, Nowroji Furdunji Road, Colaba (in the lane next to Cafe Mondegar, behind the Taj Hotel). Ph: (022)2204-5042.
- Opening Hours: 11 a.m. until 11.00 p.m