Pole dancing has quickly become a fitness craze among women of all ages, especially in the Houston area. And it's not at all surprising-who wouldn't prefer swinging seductively from a shiny pole over killing their shins on a treadmill? But participants in these classes can expect to gain far more than toned triceps from their exotic dance experience. Increased confidence, greater sexual awareness, and renewed marital excitement are common benefits of these courses as well.
And if you prefer to get your practice in at home, many of these studios offer poles for purchase.
Places to Learn Pole Dancing
- Sonia's World of Dance: Sonia's World of Dance offers a unique class called StripAerobics which promises a sweat-inducing workout with a sensual twist. This class is beneficial for fitness newbies and seasoned athletes alike. 4150 Westheimer
- Sheila Kelley S Factor: California-based Sheila Kelley is the pioneer of the exotic dance instruction movement and you can attend her signature classes right here in Houston. Courses fill up quickly so be sure to plan ahead. 2901 West Loop S
- Art of Exotic Dancing: One of the first to offer exotic dance lessons to women, AOED has empowered women through dance since 1998. The company also offers training programs to those interested in becoming an exotic dance instructor.
- Inner Me Studios: Inner Me is a boutique fitness community providing innovative movement instruction to both men and women. They offer a range of classes including the popular hip-hop yoga and chair dancing. 617 Richmond Ave.
- Strip Tease Houston: Susan Nguyen of Strip Tease is an independent exotic dance instructor who hosts private lessons, bachelorette parties and is currently collaborating with Cindie's lingerie for in-store Girls' Night Out parties.